Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Covid Study

Default New Covid Study

New York Times is reporting on large scale study of covid fatality that is to be published in the peer-reviewed and very prestigious journal Nature. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/h...k-factors.html Update: fixed link, but the video on why confederate statues bad is worth watching, but obviously I put it here by mistake.

No surprises really, age is the biggest predictor of death, followed by ethnicity (which needs more attention).
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 07-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here is a link to the article itself.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2521-4

There was a really good The Daily podcast episode yesterday about the NYT's data journalism about COVID in the US. Their work also showed the racial disparities, especially when you adjust for age and include the entire country.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'm really curious to read more about vitamin d deficiency as a factor- I have seen it mentioned in a couple of less mainstream places but not widely. It seems like that could explain some of the racial difference and also why the northeast had such terrible outcomes while the southern outbreaks don't seem to be seeing quite as many deaths.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I'm really curious to read more about vitamin d deficiency as a factor- I have seen it mentioned in a couple of less mainstream places but not widely. It seems like that could explain some of the racial difference and also why the northeast had such terrible outcomes while the southern outbreaks don't seem to be seeing quite as many deaths.
    Also the current outbreaks are younger people and the earlier outbreaks were older people, so that could play a factor in the death rate as well.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Also the current outbreaks are younger people and the earlier outbreaks were older people, so that could play a factor in the death rate as well.
    Right, plus improved treatments and deaths are very much a lagging indicator of infections.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Right, plus improved treatments and deaths are very much a lagging indicator of infections.
    Our public health officer said she expects the deaths to spike in a few weeks. We have sky rocketing numbers, but our deaths are only around 40 a day.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Our public health officer said she expects the deaths to spike in a few weeks. We have sky rocketing numbers, but our deaths are only around 40 a day.
    The uptick in deaths from the southern surges started a couple days ago IMO. Hopefully it will never reach the same levels of the N.Y./NJ/CT epicenter in April due to improving treatments and younger cases but it’s coming and unfortunately didn’t have to happen IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Very good article in the Atlantic https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...e-down/613945/

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I think improved treatments are key. Friends who are doctors in two separate ER’s, in the northeast, both said that when they first got Covid patients, they didn’t know what to do with them. The data from elsewhere wasn’t reliable and they basically had no manual of best practices to follow. Early on, as numbers increased locally, they were still learning about the virus. Now, more patients have better outcomes because there are more proven treatments. I’ve heard that even the advice that doctors give to patients who are able to treat themselves at home has evolved.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m really interested in these improved treatments! Can someone steer me that direction?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast