Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Covid Study

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I'm really curious to read more about vitamin d deficiency as a factor- I have seen it mentioned in a couple of less mainstream places but not widely. It seems like that could explain some of the racial difference and also why the northeast had such terrible outcomes while the southern outbreaks don't seem to be seeing quite as many deaths.
    Before we go running off into the Vit D rabbit hole there are a lot of things to look at. (I say this as someone who knew an ICU researcher doing a lot of work of Vit D and ICU outcomes and although it was promising at first it just didn’t hold up in larger, well designed studies. This is a common outcome.)

First, you need to make sure your are comparing the right numbers, case fatality rates vs death rates. The first is based on the number of people positive to Covid vs death rate from Covid vs population. So I don’t think by case fatality rate you can say it was so deadly in the Northeast vs South. The numbers all over the place. The truth is we just don’t have good data yet, that will come later. There are so many variables: is every death classified right, when in the epidemic did an area reach its peak, were the hospitals overwhelmed, what was the age & race breakdown in an area, were there big outbreaks in nursing homes, were there even enough tests. I suspect given what we know of diabetes and high BMI as risk factors the South will have more than enough deaths eventually.

You can see the paltry data we have on case fatality here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Also, I KNOW you don’t mean it this way, but talk about Vit D sufficiency or some other “race” related thing is problematic. Race is a societal, not a biological construct. The genetic diversity of people in African is much wider and deeper than other areas, such as people do European descent. There are some traits that can be attracted to people of African background, such as sickle cell. However the population considered “African American” has a lot of European DNA. Some do the highest rates of death are in Latinex communities and some of the Native American Communities are being decimated. I can tell you right now if a researcher goes to a black community ands says “I’d like to test you for Vit D because we think you are dying disproportionately because your skin is dark” the community members are going to roll their eyes and go “Of course it’s the color of our skin to any number of societal issues around race. Would you like to conduct a study on syphilis on our community while you are at it?”
    Last edited by dogmom; 07-11-2020 at 11:19 AM.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m really interested in these improved treatments! Can someone steer me that direction?
    Bisous it is really in flux right now. The two big things I’ve seen is proning patients before intubation and holding off intubation. (Breathing tube + vent) It’s very counterintuitive for us to hold off intubation when you see the oxygen level dropping, because all we think of is “get the airway in before they code” and putting someone on their belly when they having breathing problems. Most other patients with breathing issues (COPD/heart failure) can’t breath if the lie flat and need their head up, but it’s a different problem. The other area is the use of dexamethasone, but that works in sick, hospitalized patients. No data to support early home use.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m having trouble interpreting NJ statistics. According to our Governor’s numbers, which he posts each day, NJ is 45 in the nation for Covid cases per 100,000/ population, but 2 in deaths? How can we have so many deaths? I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly, but it appears to me that if I contracted Covid, I would double or triple my chance of survival just by crossing the Hudson River into NY. What does that say about our health care in NJ? Even though I have a MS in this field, I’m stumped. Would any of you be able to decipher this for me?

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I’m having trouble interpreting NJ statistics. According to our Governor’s numbers, which he posts each day, NJ is 45 in the nation for Covid cases per 100,000/ population, but 2 in deaths? How can we have so many deaths? I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly, but it appears to me that if I contracted Covid, I would double or triple my chance of survival just by crossing the Hudson River into NY. What does that say about our health care in NJ? Even though I have a MS in this field, I’m stumped. Would any of you be able to decipher this for me?
    Since NJ was a big part of the initial wave, were most of the deaths from the early days, before we had any information on treatment? (And PPE and equipment shortages) plus isn’t NJ more densely populated on the whole, whereas NY has huge variability.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Iirc, NJ had a very high population in nursing homes that contracted it - statistically, the elderly and already ill are at highest risk. I'm sure that's not the only issue but that may account for part of it.

Also, posthumously declaring deaths due to covid can change percentages. There was a point when they werent testing many people. So there were not many people who "had" covid. If they then go back and test samples in suspected cases, it changes things because they arent going back and adding recovered people to the numbers.

I wouldnt worry too much; I'd assume that hospitals in NJ are on par with NY.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Since NJ was a big part of the initial wave, were most of the deaths from the early days, before we had any information on treatment? (And PPE and equipment shortages) plus isn’t NJ more densely populated on the whole, whereas NY has huge variability.
    They are posting the ranking based on the daily numbers, but he did say some of the numbers are from cases which were diagnosed post autopsy with Covid 19. Yes, NY and NJ released COVID patients back to the nursing home where they were admitted from to free up hospital beds which were critically needed until the military ship arrived and army corps of engineers converted convention centers into hospitals and tents were set up in Central Park. It was quite a nightmare! But the older cases added definitely explains why our daily death ranking is in the top 2-8 highest of the states. I heard about the older cases added for the first time the other day.As far as density, north eastern nj is very dense, along with Camden, Trenton, Atlantic City but the rest of the state is suburban, farm land, seasonal beach towns.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    They are posting the ranking based on the daily numbers, but he did say some of the numbers are from cases which were diagnosed post autopsy with Covid 19. Yes, NY and NJ released COVID patients back to the nursing home where they were admitted from to free up hospital beds which were critically needed until the military ship arrived and army corps of engineers converted convention centers into hospitals and tents were set up in Central Park. It was quite a nightmare! But the older cases added definitely explains why our daily death ranking is in the top 2-8 highest of the states. I heard about the older cases added for the first time the other day.As far as density, north eastern nj is very dense, along with Camden, Trenton, Atlantic City but the rest of the state is suburban, farm land, seasonal beach towns.
    Michigan reports the deaths of people who had not been diagnosed with COVID yet tested positive after death. They mark that number when reporting. The other day, they reported 15 deaths and all 15 had not been considered a COVID patient until after death. They go through death certificates a few days a week and look for ones that aren't in the COVID system already. Maybe something like that as well for NJ.
    Kris

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m really interested in these improved treatments! Can someone steer me that direction?
    The EVMS website has a good protocol, explanations, and summary plan: https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/covid_...NOBA#covidcare

Not mentioned in the EVMS protocol, hydroxychloroquine is showing promise in prophylactic and early studies: https://c19study.com/?fbclid=IwAR2TQ...4a6z4l4p0oTVdE

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post

Not mentioned in the EVMS protocol, hydroxychloroquine is showing promise in prophylactic and early studies: https://c19study.com/?fbclid=IwAR2TQ...4a6z4l4p0oTVdE
    I'm confused by this. I thought they discontinued studies because it "wasn't" working?

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    The EVMS website has a good protocol, explanations, and summary plan: https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/covid_...NOBA#covidcare

The early studies have not panned out. Hydroxychloroquine has not shown benefit with follow up over time and is not a treatment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast