Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the success of distance learning really hinges on the individual child. You can certainly help with having the right conditions, but that's not sufficient. Echoing some of the PP, we are fortunate that we could make sure each DD had their own device, a private space to study/meet on-line, and the fastest internet speed we could get (since we often had 3 Zoom/Google Meet calls at once!). Their school had mandatory live classes every day while I was working full-time from home with multiple Zoom meetings per day.

I was also surprised that the middle school continued to evaluate using regular letter grades. Most other public schools nearby switched to pass/fail instead. This meant my 8th grader was expected to meet all the regular expectations and do it virtually. I thought it was unreasonable as I imagine many students struggled with the virtual learning environment. The teachers tried to maintain regular daily classes, but they mostly sent assignments by email and then offered live science and math lessons. There was also a daily "morning check-in" class that was just 15 minutes to take roll and then the teacher (an 8th grade teacher!) would read a chapter aloud. I know this because I did not insist DD1 wake up by 8 am to do that. I'd log in for her, keep the camera off, and then log off when the teacher finished reading. I usually don't "break rules" but I know DD1 needs her sleep. She still graduated with all A's so she put in the work needed.

For DD2, a 5th grader, they had occasional class meetings, but it wasn't every morning like my 8th grader. She had to submit "tickets" once she completed the work to show her teacher she finished the assignment. I was working full-time so I didn't have time to monitor how that process worked. Fortunately, both of my kids adjusted well to independent learning with very little supervision from me or DH. The key was having their own devices and designated space. Plus both are diligent and conscientious so we're fortunate that they're naturally inclined to work well independently.

The biggest issue is that they really missed their friends. So we relaxed our screentime rules and let them Facetime/Google Meet friends or play Fortnite/Minecraft online with their friends. We have had WAY too much screen time since the shelter-in-place orders began in March but this was a survival tactic. If we go back into distance learning, I assume we will continue the unrestricted screen time so they can interact with friends.

We did host an outdoor playdate for each DD, with everyone masked and 6 feet apart. The hardest part is making sure they remember to stay 6 feet apart. DD2 and her friend basically played on their devices and talked to each other 6 feet apart. DD1 and her friend took photos of one another and talked a lot. DH or I occasionally went outside to make sure they were keeping their masks on and maintaining their distance. Thankfully all of them did a good job of being strict. We know it's risky, but emotional health is important, too.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What have we learned?

We have learned that in person school works better for us, if that's reasonable. However, it is more likely to be hybrid for first semester, at least.

We learned that our internet sucks even worse when more people are home. DS was unable to do any zoom/live classwork AT ALL due to internet issues. We pay for the best internet available in our area, and it's awful. We are not the only ones in this boat - of DS's class of 28, eight were able to zoom regularly. When teachers would record things to watch, we would have to set up to download them overnight, and have DS do them the next day, so we were always behind. I don't understand how we can possibly do long-term distance learning this way. The school's answer was to remove the restrictions on their building's WIFI and then they expected the parents to drive the kids to school and sit in their vehicles in the school parking lot so the kids could do their meetings/schoolwork. Guess how well that went over?

We actually did better with less of a set schedule, unlike previous posters. Screen time was not allowed until schoolwork was done, but DS would often do schoolwork for a while, then lego or read for a while, then school work again. It did help a lot to get him a small table for lego, and restrict his desk to school things only. Then he could just stop and walk away, without having to put things away.

Socially, 11yo DS is struggling. We just moved for the first time last September, and he was just finally getting settled when this virus hit. He is very social and athletic, neither of which is happening right now. He's an only child, huge for his age, and we have no neighbors within 2 miles. Our dog even passed away in May. He's feeling the tension - me being out of work, DH (real estate agent) trying to get established in the new community. This year we've made about one third last years' income, so we can't even buy him fun things to ease the boredom and stress. DS was so looking forward to the change to middle school this fall, and right now it's a huge mess, no graduation, no open house, no access to the new campus at all - we don't know what school will look like.

It's extremely stressful - I wish there was better communication from school.

I learned that my rising fifth-grader, who had ADHD and some comprehension issues, learns better in person. Full stop. Like a couple of other moms said, he needs support that I am not trained or qualified to give him. It's a bit frustrating because North Carolina still has not announced our plan yet (supposedly coming next Friday). And while some districts/counties have announced their proposed plans, mine has not.

We have devices and wifi. We do not have room/spaces for desks, so DS and I both work at the kitchen table. But that's just as well. This spring, I was up and down every 20 minutes or so helping DS understand what was needed or answering questions. If I had a call, he would stop working because I wasn't available to answer questions. I can't do that again in the fall. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home but I can't keep interrupting my work day.

I was disappointed that our school did not offer live instruction, which I think would have helped him some. I was disappointed that his core teacher did not offer any recorded lessons for kids to watch. Everything was written lessons on the education platform (which I thought was clunky and hard to navigate). On the other hand, his PE, music and art teachers recorded short lessons every week. I could tell that helped him a lot. He was able to watch what they were doing and watch it again if he needed to, and then start on the assignment with little help from me.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We learned that as a dual income, working family, online is not feasible. DH shouldered ALL the schooling and that was just the bare minimum to get through the year. He is back at his office and we cannot have our 9 year old be responsible for her schooling when both parents work outside the home. So, there it is. All our children will be returning to school full time and in person while wearing masks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2