jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO What to look for in Assisted living / memory care

It looks like a family member will need to be moving into a more secure living arrangement in the very near future. Does anyone have any tips on how to find a good center / weed out bad centers? How can we find centers to call for pricing? My family member will likely be moving from a one bedroom to a single room set up. Any tips on making that change easier? What do I need to know that I’m not thinking of? I know it’s a long shot but Does anyone have a rec in the San Antonio area? TIA

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can ask on my Facebook SLP group, most slps know which places to pick vs avoid. They are all usually accessible online, right now you won't be able to tour them in person, at least in IL no non essential people or family visits. Given the situation in Texas I hope they aren't letting people in ALF's or LTC buildings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I can ask on my Facebook SLP group, most slps know which places to pick vs avoid. They are all usually accessible online, right now you won't be able to tour them in person, at least in IL no non essential people or family visits. Given the situation in Texas I hope they aren't letting people in ALF's or LTC buildings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you - that would be a great help. You’re right - all touring is virtual to protect the residents.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure how it works in Texas but here in larger facilities there is often tiered pricing depending on how much care the resident needs (reflecting ADLs they need help with, medication management etc) It should be on their website/brochure but the facility would decide the level of care needed (there is a required intake assessment) which can add a fair amount to the cost.

Assisted living or nursing home? I ask because elopement is a big issue for memory issues so you will want a facility that has a separate memory care wing that has extra security to prevent that—I.e. elevators that require keycards, auto locks on all doors out of unit.
    Also in many states assisted living not subject to same level of oversight as nursing homes.
    CMS actually maintains a ratings on all nursing homes, I can’t remember exact link, but should be easy to find on google.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You need to ask about how your relative can be maintained when they have different needs. Here are things that people get surprised about when ADL can’t meet the needs.

-IS there a skilled nursing level? If someone needs treatments so you need a visiting nurse or is there in-house help?
    -if someone gets aggressive because they are confused what happens?
    -What are the different levels of help with medications? What happens if someone doesn’t want to take their meds?
    -What happens if the person has a loss of interest in food? If they don’t show up for meals is anyone monitoring their intake?
    -Can a person have hospice there? Usually you need to pay private duty nurses to stay 24 hrs or have family or move them out.
    -If a person is hospitalized or needs rehab what happens? Usually the “rent” is still owed.
    -Is there PT and other therapy there?
    -How are they protecting against Covid?

I recommend these two articles if dementia is one of the issues:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...of-an-ending-2

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-dementia-care

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You need to ask about how your relative can be maintained when they have different needs. Here are things that people get surprised about when ADL can’t meet the needs.

-IS there a skilled nursing level? If someone needs treatments so you need a visiting nurse or is there in-house help?
    -if someone gets aggressive because they are confused what happens?
    -What are the different levels of help with medications? What happens if someone doesn’t want to take their meds?
    -What happens if the person has a loss of interest in food? If they don’t show up for meals is anyone monitoring their intake?
    -Can a person have hospice there? Usually you need to pay private duty nurses to stay 24 hrs or have family or move them out.
    -If a person is hospitalized or needs rehab what happens? Usually the “rent” is still owed.
    -Is there PT and other therapy there?
    -How are they protecting against Covid?

I recommend these two articles if dementia is one of the issues:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...of-an-ending-2

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-dementia-care

Agree with all of this, excellent advice. Also, keep in mind that moving gets more traumatic for people suffering from dementia issues as the disease progresses because they can't fully comprehend why they are being moved or where they are. I would look for a facility that won't require further moves as the disease progresses.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Asking around locally is the best way to find out the reputations of the places around you. Something close to family is a priority so it is easy for family to visit (when they are able). My Mom uses an elder care consultant when looking for a place for my Dad with dementia. The consultant is free (paid for by the facility). He was able to take the list of my mom’s criteria then helped create a list of those that met the criteria and had availability. He then scheduled and went with her on the initial visit. You can get a list of things to look for/questions to ask on the AARP or Alzheimer’s Assoc. website.