NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Q about funding for K-12 public schools

I’m confused—Trump keeps saying that if schools don’t reopen full-time with students at school, he will withhold their funding so they have to comply. Leaving the politics for another day...is it really true that K-12 public schools in most places are heavily dependent on federal funding?

I know it varies by location, but I always thought that most public schools primarily used some combination of state and local funds. Federal funds may support some specific programs but I thought basic operations were the responsibility of state and/or local governments. That would explain the dramatic differences we hear about.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We’ve been told that in California we get very little federal funding. Less than 8%. For him to cut federal funding it would have to pass Congress. Basically it’s just an empty threat.

Less than 10% of school funding in NC is federal. State and local make up the majority but losing 8-10% of funding would be devastating. However, like PZMommy said, it's mainly an empty threat.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our superintendent said he wasn’t letting the threat affect his decisions.
    The funding decision though should go through Congress but could be circumvented with an executive order.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Our superintendent said he wasn’t letting the threat affect his decisions.
    The funding decision though should go through Congress but could be circumvented with an executive order.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Our governor said he isn’t worried about Trump’s tweets, but that he is worried about student and staff safety.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Trump can’t halt already-designated federal funding.

But, he could possibly have an impact on future funding. Districts are lobbying Congress for additional, emergency funding to help pay for the staffing and supplies needed to run duel programs (online and hybrid or in person) and to safely open schools. This would seem like common sense funding to help curb the pandemic, if Trump is pushing for schools to reopen.