Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default growth hormone therapy?

My DS1 (almost 11) was always small but he seemed to get smaller and smaller. Pediatrician did a bone age scan at 6.5 and was 3 years delayed, so he was sent to endo. Several years of watch and wait. At one point his growth velocity slowed and endo recommended the stim test (using two meds to induce growth hormone spurts...3+ hours of IV and monitoring), and he passed at age 8. But he had the test again at 10 (because of very slow growth...1.3” in a year), and he failed. So he was approved for growth hormones. (Generally height needs to be below 3% plus fail the stim test.). He needed a MRI first. Started in November, and he grew 2.3” in the first 6 months!!! There are some great Facebook groups on the topic. Message me if you want more details.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Thanks GeorgieGirl! I will message you!

I just spoke with the doctor and she's ordering bloodwork to measure hormone levels, and getting new bone age scans. She is also putting him on an appetite stimulant because he has a really hard time getting enough calories (he's always been this way - even as a baby). As a point of reference, he will be 14 next month and weighs 70.6 lbs. He's always followed his own curve and is growing and gaining weight, just VERY slowly. He could easily pass for a third grader, and he will be a freshman in the fall. It's hard not to worry.
    Green Tea, mom to three

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Just one comment: hope you have good health insurance! (My experience isn’t particularly relevant — a family member with Turner Syndrome, a genetic condition that affects only girls, but the cost of growth hormone — especially if long-term daily shots are needed — can be eye-popping.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Just one comment: hope you have good health insurance! (My experience isn’t particularly relevant — a family member with Turner Syndrome, a genetic condition that affects only girls, but the cost of growth hormone — especially if long-term daily shots are needed — can be eye-popping.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    It can be expensive if your insurance is crappy. But most companies offer assistance if you meet income guidelines AND a copay card that doesn’t have any income requirements. We actually pay $0 because of the copay card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2