petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default 3 yr old in home Preschool ideas

I had signed DS2 (3 yrs old) up for Preschool 2 days a week starting this fall. I haven't heard anything from his teacher yet but she is a retired school teacher and the Preschool crowd is probably the hardest to enforce masks and distancing with so I'm fairly certain she won't be teaching. I'd like to find a short curriculum we can do for 10-15 mins a day....any recs? I keep seeing Preschool Prep advertised, anyone try it?
    Also, what I can do about learning social skills? That was my main reason for wanting him in Preschool anyway, not so much the academics. He really needs interaction with other kids and time away from mom. Not sure that's really even possible in this situation.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 07-14-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I love No Time For Flashcards--she has so many great ideas and planned activities.

And if you want everything pulled together for you, down to sticks of glue, I have used Ivy Kids with my younger ones for years and haven't had a dud kit yet. They look expensive, but I honestly don't know how they make any money because there is so much included in a box. One lasts us well over a month, and most of the activities can be done over and over with multiple kids. They have really clear lesson plans for various levels, and I love that all the art/math/prereading activiites are themed around a classic children's book.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AustenFan View Post
    I love No Time For Flashcards--she has so many great ideas and planned activities.

And if you want everything pulled together for you, down to sticks of glue, I have used Ivy Kids with my younger ones for years and haven't had a dud kit yet. They look expensive, but I honestly don't know how they make any money because there is so much included in a box. One lasts us well over a month, and most of the activities can be done over and over with multiple kids. They have really clear lesson plans for various levels, and I love that all the art/math/prereading activiites are themed around a classic children's book.
    Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge. It helps many of us!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AustenFan View Post

Yes, thank you! I'll look into them. What else have you done with your pre-K kids?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This site doesn't have a prepared day-by-day curriculum, but I've loved the activities on Life over C's: https://lifeovercs.com/

She has some things for sale, but a TON of stuff that is free too. I prefer her non-digital activities, but I also love that she has a lot of digital activities for the preschool set. When DD1 was doing computer work during LFH this spring, DD2 was incredibly jealous that she didn't get to do school on the computer too -- I would let her do digital activities from this site as a compromise so she felt like she got school on the computer, too.

My other favorite site for resources this spring was: https://nostresshomeschooling.com/
    Last edited by Liziz; 07-14-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Yes, thank you! I'll look into them. What else have you done with your pre-K kids?
    Honestly, I'm very big on free play, stocked art supply bin, lots of picture book read alouds, very little TV, and as much outdoor time as possible before kindergarten. My kids are all doing great in our academically rigorous classical homeschool with that play-based foundation. I probably use an idea or two from No Time for Flashcards in a week, and sometimes my kids would want to do Ivy Kids activities all morning and sometimes just one project a day, but that was the extent of my "formal" preschool time. When DH and I decided not to put our oldest in preschool, I did pick up Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready to make sure I didn't have any random holes I needed to fill. It's full of good ideas, but I use it more as a resource than a weekly to-do list.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Check out this program

My sister works at this school and has been involved in creating the live classes

https://bennettday.org/bennettlive/?...ource=hs_email

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I really like All About Reading for pre-k as a program. Lots of songs, play, multi-sensory activities to go along with it but it can get rather pricey. There are lots of things you can do yourself though (writing letters in sand, forming letters with dough, find the songs on youtube). I also love Sing Spell Read and Write, it's how my mom taught me and my siblings to read in the 80's and 90's. I teach in our university model hybrid in 4K and honestly the social stuff will take care of itself. It's just not a big deal. Focus on play, play, play, colors, shapes, listening and following directions (obedience, yep), being kind, and lots of read alouds, stories, rhyming, songs. Work on independence in getting dressed, pottying, helping mom and dad with chores and activities. Even our "difficult" kids who come in without having classroom time and not used to group activities figure it out in like 3 days. Everything will be fine!