JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Venmo-any experience with having a payment refunded/returned/incomplete?

The website developer I was using wanted payment through Venmo. I paid through the e-mail address she was using in her exchanges with me and my credit card was charged. Fast forward about a month later and I get an e-mail from Venmo that my payment was not accepted. I contacted the developer and turns out she wanted a different e-mail address to be used that the one I sent it to. (If she told me that, I dont remember, but its not impossible). Anyway, asked if I wanted her to send me a request for the address she wants to use and said yes, so I now have that request I can pay. However, the original charge is not refunded to my credit card. I contacted Venmo by chat to see when this would happen and they were not helpful at all. Re-read the e-mail and it says it can take up to 30 days depending upon my credit card company. Called my credit card company and they told me they post it within the day on their end of things. Ugh, I really do not want to pay again if I am not going to get refunded for the other payment and if it takes 30 days that is a long time to wait. Any experience getting refunds from Venmo? I am not sure if I need to tell the developer I want to wait or what.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Had you confirmed with her the address to send the payment to before you sent it? If you did then she should have to figure it out (someone did that to me once and it wasn't really that big of a deal!). If you didn't then I don't think it's fair to stiff her (even temporarily) since it was a mistake on your end. Re. refund processing time? That is a mystery!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Had you confirmed with her the address to send the payment to before you sent it? If you did then she should have to figure it out (someone did that to me once and it wasn't really that big of a deal!). If you didn't then I don't think it's fair to stiff her (even temporarily) since it was a mistake on your end. Re. refund processing time? That is a mystery!!
    I honestly do not think she supplied this other address (the one that she wanted me to send it to). I don;t remember her doing so and it is not in my past e-mails with her. I remember her saying just get on Venmo and send the money to her gmail (the e-mail she sent today has a different gmail than I have been using). It is not impossible that she may have told me over the phone during my consultation call, I cant say for sure; I have been overwhelmed and not always remembering details which is the only reason I am not sure, so I am not sure whose mistake it was. What I can say for sure is that I actually made 2 payments a month apart (didnt include that in my first post as I was trying to cut down on unnecessary info) as that is what was asked for. The first payment was in mid-June and I did not get notified that it went to the wrong address until today; the second was made July 1st and also went to the same wrong address (its her e-mail, just not what she wanted to use). So...not sure. In any case, I may just wait a few days and see what happens. I guess I am hoping someone who has used Venmo can share their experience of getting an refund as there are many things I have not liked about Venmo (it was my first time using it, and it is what she required), so I am just hoping it all works out. Its not as much concern about a delay, as about getting a refund at all as I dont want to pay twice.

Also, the only reason I found this out is because I got an e-mail today from Venmo telling me that my payment had been returned; I then contacted her to see what happened. In any case, i am not really trying to figure out whose "fault" it was. I want to pay her, but also want to make sure Venmo refunds me.
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-14-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Is the money hanging out in your Venmo app? I put in a wrong email one time and the money was returned, but as money hanging out in my app that I then just sent off to the right email. Did not deal with my credit card at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayzy View Post
    Is the money hanging out in your Venmo app? I put in a wrong email one time and the money was returned, but as money hanging out in my app that I then just sent off to the right email. Did not deal with my credit card at all.
    Unfortunately no. I did check this and it is not in the app and supposed to be returned to my credit card. Normally I would not sweat this at all and go ahead and pay again assuming the money would go to my card, but my experience with Venmo, down to the customer service person I interacted with today, has not left me feeling confident that things will go smoothly.

Has anyone had money returned to them by Venmo.

Venmo is owner by PayPal and I would not worry it will never be refunded but would wait a few days in case. I would document this via chat or email and if it isn’t refunded I would just tell my credit card company and they will deal with it. I’ve had great results with having my credit card company make right when merchants suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Venmo is owner by PayPal and I would not worry it will never be refunded but would wait a few days in case. I would document this via chat or email and if it isn’t refunded I would just tell my credit card company and they will deal with it. I’ve had great results with having my credit card company make right when merchants suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, HannaAddict; good advice! In my experience, credit card companies used to be excellent with this type of thing, but are not doing as well lately; likely because they are slammed with additional work due to Covid. In any case, it is reassuring to know they are owned by PayPal.

I don't have personal experience with your situation, but Venmo is not supposed to be used for payment of business services and you lose protection. I would not make any future payments by Venmo.

quoted from: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/arti...20or%20service.

Unless directly given the option by Venmo, DO NOT USE VENMO TO TRANSACT WITH PEOPLE YOU DON’T PERSONALLY KNOW, ESPECIALLY IF THE TRANSACTION INVOLVES THE PURCHASE OR SALE OF A GOOD OR SERVICE (for example, concert tickets, electronic equipment, sneakers, a watch, or other merchandise). These transactions are potentially high risk, are not allowed under Venmo’s User Agreement, and Venmo does not have a protection program for such transactions unless directly offered. So:

If you send a Venmo payment to someone for a good or service, you could lose your money without ever getting what you paid for.
    If you accept a Venmo payment from someone for a good or service and we later review the payment, we may reverse the payment, meaning you could lose both the payment and the item sold. This review process may not occur until after you attempt to transfer the funds out of Venmo.
    Thank you for your cooperation!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

I don't have personal experience with your situation, but Venmo is not supposed to be used for payment of business services and you lose protection. I would not make any future payments by Venmo.

quoted from: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/arti...20or%20service.

Unless directly given the option by Venmo, DO NOT USE VENMO TO TRANSACT WITH PEOPLE YOU DON’T PERSONALLY KNOW, ESPECIALLY IF THE TRANSACTION INVOLVES THE PURCHASE OR SALE OF A GOOD OR SERVICE (for example, concert tickets, electronic equipment, sneakers, a watch, or other merchandise). These transactions are potentially high risk, are not allowed under Venmo’s User Agreement, and Venmo does not have a protection program for such transactions unless directly offered. So:

If you send a Venmo payment to someone for a good or service, you could lose your money without ever getting what you paid for.
    If you accept a Venmo payment from someone for a good or service and we later review the payment, we may reverse the payment, meaning you could lose both the payment and the item sold. This review process may not occur until after you attempt to transfer the funds out of Venmo.
    Thank you for your cooperation!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Thanks, Candaceb. Good to know. Luckily, this person did perform the service for me and I just need to get the money back; although, ugh, she wants me to pay her again through Venmo. I trust her, so I think I will probably hope for the best.