Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Wisdom teeth removal for my 16-yo?

She needs them out this summer, the bottom ones are coming in and already hurting. She needs them all out and the top ones are impacted. Our dentist says in the office with halcyon? We also went to the oral surgeon for a second opinion and they recommended general anaesthesia for a half hour. Our dentists' office has some turnover and I noticed their wives posting positive reviews, which seems a little desperate!

Have your teens had their wisdom teeth out? Did you do anaesthesia or awake in the office? Any experience on this? I tried searching but it seems most of the wisdom teeth posts are about our (parent) experience as opposed to the kids.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My only experience is my husband's and myself. I was 18 and he was 20. We both had general anesthesia in the office for about 30 minutes, but both of ours were impacted.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

I had mine (which were not coming in yet) removed when I was 18 under general anesthesia in the oral surgeon’s office (one building had dentist’s office, orthodontist’s office, and oral surgeon’s office that were technically separate but obviously worked together a lot). They gave me a choice of general or novacaine plus nitrous oxide, but very strongly recommended the general. I think it was a good decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids aren’t old enough for this yet, but I had mine out as an adult. For reasons I won’t get into I had them done two at a time, one side awake, the other side under. I highly recommend being under. The experience itself was so much easier, but also the healing process. Even though I didn’t feel pain when I was awake, there was still a lot of pressure, and my body tensed up in response to what was going on.

ETA: Don’t know if this is an issue for you, but the main reason the first two were don’t without me being under is that no one told me that, because mine were impacted, my medical insurance paid for the removal, and I didn’t have to go through my dental insurance. Dental insurance had a $1000 limit, which is why I only had two done at first, and wouldn’t pay for anesthesia. Second time around I went somewhere else and was told to check my medical benefits, and everything was covered.
    Last edited by BDKmom; 07-20-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine went to an oral surgeon with iv sedation and nitrous. No way would I let a general dentist take out impacted or partially impacted wisdom teeth
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 is 16 and his wisdom teeth are coming in on the bottom. They were a little sore for about a week, I'm assuming like a teething baby's would be, but so far we are watching and waiting as they are not causing issues and don't seem to be impacted. If they can come all the way through, without any problems, then I think we'll just leave them.

Mine were removed the summer before I started college, just because that's what everyone did. I wasn't having any issues and don't think they were impacted. I had general anesthesia, which caused some pretty bad nausea afterwards, but besides that no problems.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had mine taken out by an oral surgeon when I was 16 or 17. I had general anesthesia in their office. I had all 4 done at once.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had them removed without anesthesia. They were removed during reading days in college so I could be considered insured and so I didn’t have the benefit of my regular dentist and had to rely on the dentists in my college town. I didn’t love the process. But I had very little to compare it to as I had never even had a cavity filled at that point. I honestly only remember not liking that they got water on my face...and nothing else...

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I had mine out awake, 3 in one hit and the4th many years later. I swear the dentist has a foot on the chair to get leverage for the3! Probably not, but it felt like it. There was a lot of noise. The 4th erupted and I was backpacking around the world so couldn’t do anything until I got home. That was easier removal.

Do it under general if you can. Mine we’re apparently easy, but it wasn’t pleasant. You also have to keep mouth open for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 07-21-2020 at 12:51 AM.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had mine out at about 25 with an oral surgeon and general anesthesia. They were impacted & I had a cyst growing behind one, so that required extra care. (Per my dentist & the surgeon, I had an equivalent of 5 wisdom teeth removed that day.)

My brother told me I was a wimp because he had his removed by our old dentist in the office when he was about 18. But his weren't impacted and just "popped" out per his own story.

Personally, I'd do the oral surgeon again.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast