Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    My dog came to us at 8 months from the streets, where she lived for months. Her digestive system didn’t develop properly and she has an extremely sensitive stomach. For years we dealt with constant stomach issues, vet bills etc. When she switched to all canned, she became a normal weight. Even then she had She can’t tolerate all dry. Wet food is easier to digest. She even did prescription wet (science diet) for a year.

So we are now doing ok on the above combo. Purina pro plan has been so helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Glad your doggie is doing better now! Ours was having tummy issues when we first got her, and also didn't want to eat the dry food, so we were doing some wet with the dry. But now that we've done treatment for worms (she had whip worms and hook worms, poor thing!) and she has settled into our home better, she scarfs down her dry kibble without any problems.

Our new rescue we adopted 6 weeks ago lived on the streets as a stray before an out of state animal control found him and brought him to local shelter. As such, we discovered he has a sensitive stomach and needs to be on a diet of mixed dry kibble (Just half a cup) and fresh Ollie dog food which is a mixture of grain and grain free meats with fresh vegetables like sweet potatoes, etc listed after main protein is listed 1st on list.

The dry food we use is Wellness brand in chicken. We often supplement his bowl of above ingredients with 2/3 C of fresh chicken breast cut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m another fan of Purina Proplan. We used to use Nutro, but the price skyrocketed when “wellness” dog foods got trendy. Proplan was what our puppy was on when we got her and kept using it and we found it good for both dogs at a price point that’s not cheap, but not horrible expensive. (Having two dogs over 60 lbs is munch more expensive than one smaller dog.). I tried to use dog food advisor, but found some of their stuff somewhat contradictory and a range of scientific support for their ratings. (Sort of like the EWG. Some of their measures seem solid, but other stuff appears to be a little overstated.) I also get turned off when I go to smaller pet stores and people with zero science background start telling me what I don’t spend on $50 for 15 lb bag of dog food I will make up in excess vet bills, then try to sell me on homeopathy. So I admit my bias. Besides when I’ve tried other more “natural” foods the dogs just don’t do as well. I can find more information and research on the Purina site, so I’m just sticking with them.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent in all the ProPlan love. I am really, completely frustrated with them right now. We have 2 labs (3 yo male and 6 yo female). We have been feeding ProPlan Sport for both since we got them (this was the food that both breeders recommended). They have both done well until about a month ago. About a month ago both started getting really itchy which had never been a problem before and the male ending up in a major allergic reaction. He was scratching so much at one point he made his gums bleed and his poor feet were licked raw. Since we had recently opened a new bag of food, I contacted ProPlan to inquire about any recent changes in manufacturing or formula and they have been nothing but shady about the whole thing. They have yet to give me a straight answer and I've been in contact with 4 different people. I really just want to know if I need to be looking elsewhere or not and they just keep apologizing and sending me coupons. We ended up changing both dogs foods just in case, but we have no idea if it was the change in food or the fact that they are now on Apoquel that is helping. I guess time will tell as the vet wanted to do the med for a month and then try them off of it. I'm just really frustrated with Purina's lack of transparency. I started this really being happy with their product, but they've pissed me off to the point that if we do find out it wasn't the food causing the issue, I don't think I could ever go back to them. Anyway, just my two cents.
    Last edited by MaiseyDog; 07-23-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So I ended up buying Science Diet sensitive skin & stomach, partly because it's the only one of the "big 3" brands that our local store carries - most of the brands this store carries is in the "old way of thinking grain-free food" camp so it's interesting to me that they carry the SD line...

Anyway, no issues with introducing the food. Still have to add fresh chicken on top for our reluctant eater. We were cooking food for our old dog in her last months so I guess I will still be cooking food for this "new" middle-aged dog

Now to find a treat that our non-food-motivated new rescue will actually get excited about that's not fresh chicken, LOL!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have two dogs, one that is very sensitive to grains. When he was given to us, he was on a pretty high grain diet that resulted in out of this world farting (like every 10 seconds he'd fart) and rashes.

Our dog was already on Taste of the Wild, which helped, but then we switched to Earthborn Meadow Feast and both dogs have done really well with it. He still farts (frenchie), but like 90% less compared to before and our other dog does well on this food too. The vet has been impressed by how healthy they look and how shiny their coats are. We've tried some of the other Earthborn line too (I think lamb?) and have been happy with it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by MaiseyDog View Post
    I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent in all the ProPlan love. I am really, completely frustrated with them right now. We have 2 labs (3 yo male and 6 yo female). We have been feeding ProPlan Sport for both since we got them (this was the food that both breeders recommended). They have both done well until about a month ago. About a month ago both started getting really itchy which had never been a problem before and the male ending up in a major allergic reaction. He was scratching so much at one point he made his gums bleed and his poor feet were licked raw. Since we had recently opened a new bag of food, I contacted ProPlan to inquire about any recent changes in manufacturing or formula and they have been nothing but shady about the whole thing. They have yet to give me a straight answer and I've been in contact with 4 different people. I really just want to know if I need to be looking elsewhere or not and they just keep apologizing and sending me coupons. We ended up changing both dogs foods just in case, but we have no idea if it was the change in food or the fact that they are now on Apoquel that is helping. I guess time will tell as the vet wanted to do the med for a month and then try them off of it. I'm just really frustrated with Purina's lack of transparency. I started this really being happy with their product, but they've pissed me off to the point that if we do find out it wasn't the food causing the issue, I don't think I could ever go back to them. Anyway, just my two cents.
    I just saw this but our puppy came to us from breeder on Pro Plan sport and also seemed to itch a lot even though he didn't have fleas and was on a preventative. I've been weaning him off of it over the last few weeks (slowly because I wanted to use up the smallest bag we had bought), and now that he's off it entirely he does seem to itch less. Could be a coincidence, IDK. He's on Chicken Soup for large breed puppy now.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our vet is also against grain-free. They recommended Science Diet, Purina ProPlan and Royal Canin. We just changed our 10yo to Science Diet 7+ - she transitioned fine. The cheapest that I have found is Pet Supplies Plus. If you have one in your area, it's cheaper than Chewy and Amazon, even with subscription. I order it online and they bring it out to my car.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2