Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default #29 update FIXED IT: Best toilet bowl cleaner?

I've been cleaning our own toilets...but not as frequently as our housekeeper would have, haha. So now they have some hard water buildup in the bowl. Oops. What's the best toilet cleaner to remove this? And then is there a good toilet cleaner I can use to prevent this, and that would make it easier for me to keep up with the toilets without scrubbing? The kind that you squirt under the rim once a week maybe? I will not put anything in the tank...have had many plumbers frown upon this. I am WAY out of touch on how best to clean toilets...
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-09-2020 at 11:12 AM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Get the Lysol toilet cleaner in the black bottle to clean the stains. I’ve found that wiping toilets often makes cleaning a breeze. I clean toilets once a week if I keep up with regular cleaning, it only takes ten minutes to clean a bathroom.
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-22-2020 at 11:47 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just use Scrubbing Bubbles foaming cleaner (not toilet specific). I also use the Scrubbing Bubbles gel stamps. You put it right where the water cones out in the bowl and it really helps to keep it cleaner between cleanings.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I taught my boys how to clean a bathroom a few months ago and they are responsible each for cleaning one every week. It's been fantastic since we don't have a cleaning person right now.

We use Clorox toilet cleaner with the disposable scrubber, mainly because that's what our cleaning person liked. We use one scrubber for 2 toilets.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Best toilet bowl cleaner?

To get rid of stains that are there, turn off the water and flush so you lower the water below the stain. Spray vinegar on the stain and put paper towels on the stain and spray them so they stay damp. I used to have a spray bottle of vinegar under the sink and I’d spray the toilet bowl whenever I used it. Need to start that again

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use Seventh Generation toilet bowl cleaner once a week and have never had any stains.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I kind of do what Nicci does, but not with vinegar - I dump a bucket into the toilet, which lowers the water level without my having to remember to turn the water off/on, squirt whatever bowl cleaner we last bought (Clorox, Lysol, Up & Up, Toilet Duck ... really, I'm not picky) up under the rim, until everything's coated, and let it sit 15-20 minutes before scrubbing.

Hard water stains, I might want to use CLR brand.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have pretty hard water and prefer to use a Clorox white tablet (won’t change color of toilet water, and use one about every 2 months) and then follow up either Clorox or Lysol w/bleach every week or so. I have tried multiple times using 7th Generation, Greenworks, or Method toilet cleaner with either no tablet or a tablet and I end up with a faint hard water stain line when I don’t use a cleaner with bleach. We have a toilet brush similar to Oxo’s but it is just the Target brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Whether you get stains will depend on the composition of your water more than your cleaner. We had really hard water at our last house. The water here is not as bad but still leaves some mineral deposits. I like the blue Lysol cleaner in the white bottle that I get at Costco. I have tried Clorox, but I don't like its consistency. The Lysol is just thick enough to sit under the rim for a few minutes before running into the bowl and "tackling" the water line stain. I do have to scrub lightly. I just use whatever brush is convenient, lately a set I got at Costco.

What may be more important than the product is the consistency. If you let a line start to form, it will be more difficult to eliminate. Using a cleaner before that line begins is key.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When I've had to deep clean toilets (either when we were first moving in somewhere, or when I let things go a little tooooo long....) I always turn to The Works. It's super caustic so be careful with it (my kids normally are responsible for doing the toilets, but I don't let them use this one), but it has never failed to do the job for me.
    Lizi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast