Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

We use Lime-Away for hard water buildup, and Chlorox or lysol toilet bowl cleaner for bio-buildup.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Clorox tab system and vinegar overnight for hard water stains.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Someone here suggest a pumice stone to scrub the toilet stains and I plan to try that.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Someone here suggest a pumice stone to scrub the toilet stains and I plan to try that.
    This worked on the grossest toilet you ever saw. It will work. It's not a fun process though! But I think I'm finally immune to being grossest out by poop. I hope I don't have to test that, lol!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That is so strange because I have never had a problem with the Lysol or Clorox cleaners that have the same type of top, but I always buy at Target/Walmart because we only have one bathroom so we never need more than one at a time. Thanks for letting me know about the issue with the 3 pack from Costco because we will soon have two bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    What color is your hard water stain? At home, we have typical hard water. Like others, I put a Clorox bleach tablet in the tank of each toilet. I have scrubbing bubble wands attached to the back of each toilet and a supply of flushable pads and heavy duty pads in each bathroom. My kids actually 'fight' over who gets to clean the toilet when we divvy up chores [Trust me.... I don't understand....].

At a vacation home, our well water has high iron deposits which leave the bowl orange. We use Iron Out to deal with stains.
    We don't have super hard water here...the "stain" is mostly colorless - it's just that you can feel a sort of calcium-type hard buildup. So, not the toughest stains to get out. The buildup did not come off with just scrubbing but with the Lysol (which I think has ammonia in it based on the smell) dissolved that buildup so easily - it didn't even require scrubbing afterwards to get it off!! I could've just flushed the toilet a couple of times and rinsed the gel down and done! For your iron stains, I bet Bar Keeper's Friend would work awesome. It took a rusty paint can stain off of our bathroom counters from contractors letting it sit there wet. I use it to clean caked-on oily gook from our gas cooktop, and burnt-on food from the bottom of pans. Works so well.

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    I finally stopped buying the toilet cleaner at costco because of the caps. Same stuff, different store= no problem. Super frustrating. And gross. And I still have that costco supply to use up but don't want to ruin cabinet interiors or stain grout with this stuff if whoever is cleaning doesn't notice it. Pass. It's not you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    That is so strange because I have never had a problem with the Lysol or Clorox cleaners that have the same type of top, but I always buy at Target/Walmart because we only have one bathroom so we never need more than one at a time. Thanks for letting me know about the issue with the 3 pack from Costco because we will soon have two bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So...I went to the Costco website and sorted the Lysol reviews from worst to best...all the bad reviews had to do with the cap!!! Who knew?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I would try lime-away first. Much less scrubbing.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I will admit to not scrubbing the toilet nearly as I ought to. When I need to, I spray scrubbing bubbles in the bowl, close the top and leave it overnight. Stains are much less in the am and come off with a regular scrub.

DH wont let me use any tablets b/c he says that it will ruin the toilet.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK, had to update, as I fixed the Costco bottle cap issue!! Basically, the cap is misaligned which is why it doesn't work properly out of the box, with the 2 plastic stops on the bottle not where they need to be in relation to the cap. If you look carefully, when you squeeze the cap, the purpose is to force the cap into an oval shape to allow the ends of the ovals to get past the plastic stops. So you want to the cap to hit those plastic stops on the sides that you are NOT squeezing when you turn counterclockwise. The squeezing then deforms the cap so that it moves past the stops as you continue the counterclockwise turn to fully open it. A couple of my bottles weren't doing this.

To fix: place bottle on firm flat surface, floor or counter, grab the cap firmly and turn it CLOCKWISE until you feel it go past the plastic stops once. Then check the cap, turning it counterclockwise as intended to open, and see if the "squeeze" and "deform" points hit at the right places. Voila!!

And then...after using, if you set the bottle upright and LEAVE THE CAP OPEN, it reduces (but not eliminates) the leaking to a level I can deal with (one dribble that didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the bottle). After a minute, then I close the cap completely with no further leakage.

And finally, a hack...these are great to clean bathroom sinks too, hahaha. Even with a ton of soap and toothpaste buildup, it all came off easily with just minimal gentle scrubbing. So I have reserved a bottle for the sinks and one for the toilets.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    OK, had to update, as I fixed the Costco bottle cap issue!! Basically, the cap is misaligned which is why it doesn't work properly out of the box, with the 2 plastic stops on the bottle not where they need to be in relation to the cap. If you look carefully, when you squeeze the cap, the purpose is to force the cap into an oval shape to allow the ends of the ovals to get past the plastic stops. So you want to the cap to hit those plastic stops on the sides that you are NOT squeezing when you turn counterclockwise. The squeezing then deforms the cap so that it moves past the stops as you continue the counterclockwise turn to fully open it. A couple of my bottles weren't doing this.

To fix: place bottle on firm flat surface, floor or counter, grab the cap firmly and turn it CLOCKWISE until you feel it go past the plastic stops once. Then check the cap, turning it counterclockwise as intended to open, and see if the "squeeze" and "deform" points hit at the right places. Voila!!

And then...after using, if you set the bottle upright and LEAVE THE CAP OPEN, it reduces (but not eliminates) the leaking to a level I can deal with (one dribble that didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the bottle). After a minute, then I close the cap completely with no further leakage.

And finally, a hack...these are great to clean bathroom sinks too, hahaha. Even with a ton of soap and toothpaste buildup, it all came off easily with just minimal gentle scrubbing. So I have reserved a bottle for the sinks and one for the toilets.
    Good to hear it. And this is such a BBB type fix--research, hack, adapt, and share.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast