Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
More on safety - ask about contact tracing and quarantine procedures. In our district, I asked how long I should keep my kids out if I was quarantined for a known workplace exposure. The answer was - not at all. Ask about testing capabilities - many states are struggling with adequate testing. Ask how long after an exposure that want folks to wait to test - you have to allow for an incubation period. Ask what they are doing to increase ventilation - and filtration.
Yes, I am still unclear about the following:

* What happens if a teacher tests positive?
* What happens if a student tests positive?
* What is the quarantine procedure after a family positive? 5 days? 10 days? 14 days?
* What is the quarantine procedure after a classroom positive? '' '' ''
* Will siblings' classes also be required to quarantine?
* What is the quarantine procedure for a known immediate-family workplace exposure?
* How will contact tracing be implemented to be in line with local, county, state, and federal health department policies while also protecting students' and families' privacy? (They're already so freaked about privacy that they won't do class lists; how will they need to revamp their understanding of privacy rights in order to follow mandates on contact tracing? I'm actually going to take the contact tracing training webinars - they are free - to see what they require.)
* How often will teachers be tested? Will testing kits be provided by the district?
* How often should students be tested?
* What's the isolation procedure for a child who exhibits symptoms at school?
* How will temperature checks be implemented and will summertime-developed procedures change during poor weather?

As for ventilation, they're supposed to leave windows open, but this doesn't account for classrooms without windows, which I don't believe are adequately ventilated in general - DD has been assigned to at least 2 (including Kindergarten!) and it has a terrible impact on her behavior and mood.

Filtration, the a/c filters in building systems (which don't provide adequate ventilation, IMO) will be changed quarterly under the current proposal. No mention of whether or not they will change them more often if there's a school building exposure/positive or what. (And now all I have in my head is Legionnaires' Disease - OK, so that was bacterial, but still.)