Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boat life

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...7311--,00.html - that's the page for Michigan on who can operate a boat without taking a class. You can take the boater safety online - it's take a good chunk of a day to do. But, DS1 and my nephews all did it online. Then you have to keep the certificate on the boat if they are driving. If you get pulled over, they can ask for it - happened to DH's boss' kid! So we keep them in the glove box on the Jet Ski for all the kids. Another copy at the house and another copy at home, just in case something is lost. Michigan safety course: https://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/

Yes to towing signals too. You have to have a spotter in Michigan, so agree on the signals and practice.
    Kris

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks KrisM! Love they can do online!
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great list! I don’t think I saw long-handled fishing net mentioned. Not only does it help for fishing, it is necessary for retrieval of items that might things fly off the boat (ie, hats!). We have a couple on our boat because our kids like skimming the shore line and near the docks for tiny incubating fish, crabs, etc.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Don't cheap out on the paddles, a nice solid paddle can get you out of mud, off a rock, help with the engine dies. We have 2 super long row boat paddles on our sailboat and they have saved us many a time.

Extending pole with a hook.

Good heavy anchor, not the cheap 5 lb ones with the cheap line.

We have the neoprene lifejackets, but get BRIGHT colors, don't get blue, black or dark green or camouflage, you want colors you can see from far away, orange, yellow, red. For kids under 4, I will only let them on the boat with the ones with a crotch strap and the neck float.

We sail on the ocean and in the bay in really strong tides, but I keep a lot of spare jackets and if a family comes with us and they have the blue dora lifejacket with fish all over it, I give them a bright orange one. If a kid gets knocked overboard or falls, I want to be able to see them.

A little dry box with those powder packs of Gatorade or rehydration solution. It is so easy to get too much sun and start to feel sick. Extra sunhats and sunglasses. They do tend to fall overboard.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Make sure if your boat has keys, you get a float keychain for them.

We also love the straps to put on glasses that float.

https://www.amazon.com/DriftFish-Eye...s+float&sr=8-3

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2