NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Any deals left on chromebooks?

Hope I’m not too late! Now that 3rd grade DGD2's school situation for Fall is sorted out, she needs a chromebook and my family is counting on me to find a deal. (Hey, we may just be looking for somewhere that still has them available...)

Any suggestions? (No, we don’t need suggestions about borrowing one from the school, etc — after reviewing all the options, they want to buy one.)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you checked Slickdeals.net? They had some deals listed at Walmart a few weeks ago, not sure if they are still good. My Dell chromebook that was only 2.5 yrs. old just randomly died and after trouble shooting it appears that something went wrong on the motherboard and it will be cheaper to buy a new chromebook vs. Dell fixing this one (since it is out of warranty). I'm waiting to replace it til we figure out if we need to get any other stuff to set the girls up for schooling from home (they do have school issued chromebooks - theirs are HP so I might go that route, as they have not had any issues with them for the few years they have used them at school).

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know you said they want to buy one, but have they considered what happens when something goes wrong? Our school provided the chromebooks and if anything goes wrong, you just swap it out and they give you a new one right away. IF you have your own and something happens, you would be without a computer for awhile, which if you are doing online would be a real pain. I know even our friends who are tech snobs rent the school ones as they seem to do the job well and having to repair you own is such a pain.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I know you said they want to buy one, but have they considered what happens when something goes wrong? Our school provided the chromebooks and if anything goes wrong, you just swap it out and they give you a new one right away. IF you have your own and something happens, you would be without a computer for awhile, which if you are doing online would be a real pain. I know even our friends who are tech snobs rent the school ones as they seem to do the job well and having to repair you own is such a pain.
    Sounds like the model you described worked during distance learning. Did the school also provide chromebooks for all students while they were on-campus, for the kids to take back and forth from school to home? In any case, that’s not an option for my family.

Although it’s still too soon to be sure how the school year will start, their (private) school is planning for a variety of scenarios: some or all kids on campus, all distance, and various combos of these (maybe half the kids on campus at a time). It’s a fairly small school and their physical resources (including a very large outdoor space that they already use extensively) mean that they expect to safely have at least some kids on campus. When lower school kids are on campus, they have access to shared devices, but the school is not offering ones to check out for home use.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, in our public district 6-12 get chrome books, either to rent or free depending on financial means. Elementary can access lessons online or pick up a packet weekly or they will drop off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don’t know about deals, but I love my relatively inexpensive Acer from Target. It goes on sale periodically.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can’t remember the exact model but Costco had one yesterday. We were buying a new laptop for ds4 he’s going into middle we went with a Lenovo instead
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our school district will only swap out or fix a broken chromebook from the school IF you buy the insurance. If you don't buy the insurance, it's your problem to fix it if it is the school's property.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs