okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Nanny payment logistics

Due to my kids' school schedule, we have hired a part time nanny. She'll work for us for 16 hours per week. We've been looking at our state and the federal guidelines for all things related to taxes, and our heads are spinning. It got us wondering if maybe one of those payroll services would be a better option. After looking into them, they aren't cheap ( around $40 per month), and it made me wonder if they were worth it. Anyone with experience? Do you pay your nanny with a payroll service, or do you calculate and track it all yourself?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No experience but $40/month sounds pretty low if it'll give you peace of mind that everything is right and on the up-and-up.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, we use a payroll service. We use GTM, but have used Care.com service in the past. I think DH said care was easier to use, but GTM is a bit cheaper. It is pretty seamless though, she gets direct deposit and taxes withheld, and we have never had issues on our returns or anything.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You might want to check out Zenefits. We’ve used it for both employees and contractors. There are no fees (they make money by serving as a broker for insurance plans). It’s worked quite well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Yes, we use a payroll service. We use GTM, but have used Care.com service in the past. I think DH said care was easier to use, but GTM is a bit cheaper. It is pretty seamless though, she gets direct deposit and taxes withheld, and we have never had issues on our returns or anything.
    I'll take a look at GTM. We thought about using care.com, as this is where we found our nanny, but they're twice as expensive as many of the others, so we thought we’d explore some other options. I’m glad to hear though that care.com is so easy. Maybe it justifies their price.
    Last edited by okinawama; 07-27-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aishe View Post
    You might want to check out Zenefits. We’ve used it for both employees and contractors. There are no fees (they make money by serving as a broker for insurance plans). It’s worked quite well for us.
    We'll take a look! Thank you!

I also used a payroll service, well worth the money in my opinion.