Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default School complaint

I still can’t decide what to do for school this year. I emailed the principal and she called me back this morning, basically confirming that the in person option is the only one the district is putting any effort into. I can choose an absolutely ridiculous hybrid option (any parent can choose to keep their kid home anytime they choose because teachers will be uploading all assignments to google classroom at the end of the day- does nothing to encourage smaller classes or social distancing, may encourage kids to stay home when sick) or an online option that is basically ‘self-taught’ as the online instructors are also in charge of an in person classroom and have 1 hr between 3:15-4:30 when they can be reached by email for questions.

My big hang up with in person is that they are planning to use the same platform as online so that both sets of kids can do the same work. All work will be completed digitally as each student has their own Chromebook. Only difference is that there will be a teacher on site for instruction and questions. Masks required all day- I was hoping they could space desks out enough to remove masks sometimes, BUT the clincher— masks are required in the lunchroom at all times!! I asked how kids are supposed to eat with a mask on and she said “That’s one of the details we are still working through, but students will need to keep their masks on at all times.” Seriously??
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Wow, those all sound like horrible options! Can you home school?

Still waiting to see if we have options and, if so, what they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

OP;

What ideally do you want to see/happen with this school?

I think the fact with teaching/instruction being the same whether in person or hybrid is gonna be the approach many school districts is offering. My kids district included.

We have the hybrid model of in person/live instruction from home or virtual 100%. The only difference is our kids are dismissed by lunchtime with lunch to go, so the issue of masks around lunchtime is avoided. They’re to wear masks all the time while in class 4 hours of their days.

All options aren’t ideal, and that is tough on us as a parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh. Those sound just awful. Does your DS need services? I cannot honestly remember if he was one who is getting evaluated for an IEP/504 (my DS3 is so this isn't a judgment--just can't remember!). I think that's the only scenario where I would stick with what they are offering because I really value the expertise of the various therapists at school. Otherwise this whole thing sounds like a whole lot of work for you with very little advantage. I bet in your area they have tons of cool homeschool options. I'm so sorry. I know this has been so stressful. I know this is the b-post but I want to help troubleshoot your problem!!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow. Those really all are utterly terrible options!

I am a big believer in just making the best of the options you have available, but those are all seriously horrible options!

If my kid is in school, I DO NOT want them sitting in front of a computer screen all day. If my kid is learning from home, I want digital interaction with the teacher, during school time. Neither of those is happening there. I also feel sorry for the teachers of your district because it sounds miserable for them, too.

Pandemics suck.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    OP;

What ideally do you want to see/happen with this school?

I think the fact with teaching/instruction being the same whether in person or hybrid is gonna be the approach many school districts is offering. My kids district included.

We have the hybrid model of in person/live instruction from home or virtual 100%. The only difference is our kids are dismissed by lunchtime with lunch to go, so the issue of masks around lunchtime is avoided. They’re to wear masks all the time while in class 4 hours of their days.

All options aren’t ideal, and that is tough on us as a parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm just frustrated that it seems like virtual and in person learning will be almost the same, except with the added 'bonus' that in school the kids have to wear masks. I think if they open schools to in person learning they need to teach normally, and not slap the kids at a desk with a computer and a Kahn Academy video.

I do understand that every situation is going to be difficult right now, but the way my district has done it really hurts those kids who don't do well sitting at a computer all day. And come on, wearing a mask and trying to eat at the same time is downright ridiculous. They are going to end up with kids who have too low of a blood sugar level to be able to learn anyway.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 07-27-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Ugh. Those sound just awful. Does your DS need services? I cannot honestly remember if he was one who is getting evaluated for an IEP/504 (my DS3 is so this isn't a judgment--just can't remember!). I think that's the only scenario where I would stick with what they are offering because I really value the expertise of the various therapists at school. Otherwise this whole thing sounds like a whole lot of work for you with very little advantage. I bet in your area they have tons of cool homeschool options. I'm so sorry. I know this has been so stressful. I know this is the b-post but I want to help troubleshoot your problem!!
    He has been diagnosed with ADHD but doesn't have an IEP or anything. I actually had my first meeting with the principal and school social worker at the end of February and we talked about some interventions because he was wasting a lot of time in class and not working. But none of the interventions ever happened.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I'm just frustrated that it seems like virtual and in person learning will be almost the same, except with the added 'bonus' that in school the kids have to wear masks. I think if they open schools to in person learning they need to teach normally, and not slap the kids at a desk with a computer and a Kahn Academy video.

I do understand that every situation is going to be difficult right now, but the way my district has done it really hurts those kids who don't do well sitting at a computer all day. And come on, wearing a mask and trying to eat at the same time is downright ridiculous. They are going to end up with kids who have too low of a blood sugar level to be able to learn anyway.
    Oh the I misunderstood you I wouldn’t be happy at all with that style of teaching with another platform like khan style, cuz then what is the point of going to school? For my kids district, families who are choosing the in person hybrid style will get instruction from their home room teachers. Exactly like pre convid style, but will have notable differences with masks and social distancing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    He has been diagnosed with ADHD but doesn't have an IEP or anything. I actually had my first meeting with the principal and school social worker at the end of February and we talked about some interventions because he was wasting a lot of time in class and not working. But none of the interventions ever happened.
    Bummer! I'm on the lookout for ADHD supports for distance learning. I've been getting a bunch of articles from ADDitude magazine but of course I have yet to read them. DS3 has what appears to be inattentive ADHD and distance learning was very challenging for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Bummer! I'm on the lookout for ADHD supports for distance learning. I've been getting a bunch of articles from ADDitude magazine but of course I have yet to read them. DS3 has what appears to be inattentive ADHD and distance learning was very challenging for us.
    Ha! I have all those same ADDitude articles building up in my email!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast