Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are looking at the nearby shelters, but dogs just fly outta there. I will put in apps at the local ones, to be ready, but our Humane Society is by appointment only, which they only do on Mondays, for the following week. I can't even get through to a person to schedule!

Have an app in at a local rescue that transports dogs as well - they don't tend to get a lot of smaller dogs in. Mostly toward the larger end of medium and up.

I did check, and most of the local shelters do not post animals on social media, either. I think they get adopted that fast.

We'll just try to be patient. Our dog is out there somewhere.

A better update! I did check shelters, and with quick action we have met/will adopt a pup who it not quite a year old. She got a rough start (hoarding/puppy mill) and is very timid and scared, but not the least bit aggressive with dogs or people. We've been working with her foster dad to transition her with some level of comfort to us, which is satisfying but a lot of work for all of us. We will likely shift her to our house on Friday.

I did also let the other rescue know that we are not comfortable with the contract and they will place the little pup with someone else. They said that most of the wording issues I was worried about would be fine - well, why not write the contract to reflect that then?!?!? I also suggested they post the contract on their website so people could read it *before* applying. Saves everyone time.

New pup is a smaller labradoodle, with a hair coat (so she looks like she has Schnauzer in her, not poodle). About 40 pounds now. Little to no shedding. I hope to see her smile at some point! No barking, either. A good, sweet girl. Housebroken, even pees and poos in the same spot outside for her foster. Does well on the leash unless scared. I think she'll do well once settled. For discipline, she is so sensitive that we will have to work on soft, easy voices. A "uh-un" is enough to stop behavior and allow a distraction like a toy.

Our dog trainer friend evaluated her and recommended we take her, as she thinks she'll blossom with time and patience. She has made great strides with her foster dad in 3 weeks. I think she is young enough to recover from the rough start.

I will post a pic when we have her in house. I am head over heels!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

She sounds perfect! So happy for you!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

She sounds a lot like our dog, who came from a hoarding situation in Kentucky and was brought to a rescue in PA. We have had her almost 3 months and she is great with the girls and myself, but still hesitant around my DH at times, and around other people and other dogs. She is very cautious of new situations (which we are really seeing this week as we brought her on vacation with us). But when it is just us at home she is very playful and silly. The foster mom said she was a “soft” dog, meaning she takes loud voices and discipline to heart and cowers from that type of discipline- she needs a much gentler approach and a simple “no” in a somewhat firm voice usually stops an unwanted behavior (except chasing our one cat, still working on that one!).

Be patient with her and I hope in time she blossoms with your family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds wonderful!!! I sure wish there was some way to stop all this back yard breeding, I know some are responsible, but I think too many just see dollar signs and don't know what they are doing. She sounds like she is in good hands with both the foster dad and your family!

Glad to hear your great update! She sounds like a great pup for you all!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    She sounds a lot like our dog, who came from a hoarding situation in Kentucky and was brought to a rescue in PA. We have had her almost 3 months and she is great with the girls and myself, but still hesitant around my DH at times, and around other people and other dogs. She is very cautious of new situations (which we are really seeing this week as we brought her on vacation with us). But when it is just us at home she is very playful and silly. The foster mom said she was a “soft” dog, meaning she takes loud voices and discipline to heart and cowers from that type of discipline- she needs a much gentler approach and a simple “no” in a somewhat firm voice usually stops an unwanted behavior (except chasing our one cat, still working on that one!).

Be patient with her and I hope in time she blossoms with your family!

Thank you for writing about your dog. My hope is that ours will get there as well. She does sound a lot like your “soft” dog in her demeanor.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yay! Congratulations on your pending puppy!

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Thank you for writing about your dog. My hope is that ours will get there as well. She does sound a lot like your “soft” dog in her demeanor.
    She is our first dog and the perfect fit for our family! Even my 13 yr. old daughter who only wanted cats for pets is obsessed with her and both kids have really stepped up in their pet care responsibilities since getting her.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What a great update!!! Yay!!! I agree she is young enough that with patience she will blossom with you guys!! We rescued an older guy who is similarly sensitive (we jokingly call him our orchid) and we have to be very calm and quiet around him, and even telling him "No" has to be done with a very gentle voice. DH unfortunately had one loud exclamation when the dog accidentally stepped on his foot and that set the dog back SOOOO much and now it will probably take us weeks (if not months) to get him to be OK with DH again. But your dog is young (and we've had a VERY SHY dog before but she was also younger) and I do think it will be so much easier for a young dog to bounce back. And I'm biased since our last dog was this size but 40 pounds is a GREAT SIZE. Small enough to lift when needed. Big enough to hug

Yay!!! Post updates!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast