Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What are your state/district’s requirements for opening/closing schools (covid stats)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post

I just don't understand this attitude of cant. Maybe it is just one of won't. Its not in the best interest of students when but hey who cares if my kiids are okay. This is how institutional racism persists. We will spend whatever to ensure our kids get through.
    What do you think is happening for kids of single parents and lowere SES families others that aren't able to do so? Myopic.
    I
    Personally IMO lockdowns don't work and neither do masks based on inability to wear correctly or using gross cloth that probably isnt being laundered appropriately

We have to learn how to live with it. Or we will be dealing with the fallout for years.

Sorry I expect better when a situation is forced on us. I don't give public schools a pass because it's hard. Maybe this is the disruption it needed to evolve. I do wish I could get our dollars per kids so we can make the appropriate decisions for our situation.
    I work in a school in a very low SES area, 100% free breakfast, lunch and supper. I am fully aware of the impact school shutdowns have had on my students and their families. I’m more aware than most people posting on this thread who have never stepped foot in a poor urban public school.

I am also fully aware of the impact COVID-19 has had on families in my school community with several deaths of family members. I haven’t had any deaths in my group of friends or in the neighborhood where I live.

We have to live with the virus you say. You probably can and so can your family. The families I work with have people dying from it. Black and Hispanic communities are suffering more from Covid-19 than most communities. But yes let’s go our lives back to normal and open schools, who cares if other people get sick and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Personally IMO lockdowns don't work and neither do masks based on inability to wear correctly or using gross cloth that probably isnt being laundered appropriately

We have to learn how to live with it.
    How? What are your thoughts on what we should be doing differently? I don’t mean for school, necessarily, but just as a world community trying to survive this? I’m really interested.

(My personal POV is that this is a crappy time we will need to survive and ride out until there is an effective vaccine. It will probably be crappy for a long time. I don’t expect that life will be back to normal in any real sense for at least another year. In the meantime we can expect most learning and business to be conducted online, and to be in a state of either hard/soft lockdown.)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Doctors have been speaking out that hybrid is actually more dangerous than fully opening. The kids will be exposed to more germs on their off days as many parents will send them off to childcare. It will make contact tracing even more difficult. Fully opening isnÂ’t an option as they canÂ’t properly social distance. The expensive private school TrumpÂ’s kid goes to will be online only until at least Oct 1. With all their money and they canÂ’t do it, how do you expect public schools with no money to do it??

For everyone who says it isnÂ’t a problem in their area, it just takes 1 person returning from a trip to set off an outbreak.
    I know a lot of infectious disease docs that are friends of dh, and they all think kids should be back in school, similar to the infectious disease pediatricians that drafted the AAP report. Not familiar with the report you are talking about, but If you have a citation than I am happy to look at it.

What’s going on in MoCo where Trump’s son goes to school is just bad politics. County isn’t letting privates open there until after public school enrollment count date passes, public school system is losing tons of kids to privates , pods and home school. They are also trying to prevent pods from forming and operating in Moco. It’s a huge mess and in the affluent counties here, there are many families who won’t be returning to the public schools, furthering inequity. Governor came out yesterday in opposition to MoCo’s actions. People are threatening lawsuits.

There are legitimately places where it is unsafe to open and there are places where schools can open safely with appropriate plans. Unions opposing the latter is causing a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Doctors have been speaking out that hybrid is actually more dangerous than fully opening. The kids will be exposed to more germs on their off days as many parents will send them off to childcare. It will make contact tracing even more difficult. Fully opening isn’t an option as they can’t properly social distance. The expensive private school Trump’s kid goes to will be online only until at least Oct 1. With all their money and they can’t do it, how do you expect public schools with no money to do it??

For everyone who says it isn’t a problem in their area, it just takes 1 person returning from a trip to set off an outbreak.
    Double post
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 08-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Lockdowns aren't working, I'm doubtful masks do based on how poorly I see people wear them
    Lockdowns and masks sure worked here in NY. Thank God for Cuomo.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Lockdowns and masks sure worked here in NY. Thank God for Cuomo.
    Right. Same in NJ. Marymoo, sounds like you’re in one of the states where masks isn’t just mandatory hence why it’s not working! It needs to be all blanket mandatory and consistent to work. Not whenever you feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Right. Same in NJ. Marymoo, sounds like you’re in one of the states where masks isn’t just mandatory hence why it’s not working! It needs to be all blanket mandatory and consistent to work. Not whenever you feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No, they are mandatory here. I think what Marymoo is referring to is sometimes you’ll see people have them under their nose or under their chin. Overall, our number of cases have held pretty steady this week (No huge spikes) so I think the mandate is starting to work.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have to learn how to live with it. Or we will be dealing with the fallout for years..
    Can you clarify what you'd do if you got to decide? If I'm understanding correctly, you believe kids should be in school with no distancing or masks? Basically business as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I know a lot of infectious disease docs that are friends of dh, and they all think kids should be back in school, similar to the infectious disease pediatricians that drafted the AAP report.
    If schools had started out in well ventilated uncrowded buildings with uniformly adequate funding, they would have had a better chance at staying open. Our superintendent recommended hybrid. The school committee in a contentious 4.5h meeting voted remote. The biggest issue is 2 buildings have substandard HVAC. The HS scheduling would have been a nightmare due to its size 1600 kids. They voted to start hybrid and reassess mid Oct when data from around the country is available.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    So seriously, what is it you want everyone to do? I've heard your concerns, but I haven't heard your solution.

As for level of expectation? I expect my kids to rise above their situation. I expect them to grow where they are planted. I expect them to work to the best of their ability, even when the circumstances aren't perfect. I expect them to learn about resilience, perseverance and doing their part to better the world during this WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC. There are years we all simply must "get through". My expectations are that my kids learn how to muddle through bad times, make the best of it, and look forward to the good times. If that means I have a crappy attitude and low expectations, I proudly own it.
    This! I’m thinking that this unique experience- if they live through it- will be good for my kids. It’s teaching them how to make do in a bad situation, that life is hard but to look for the silver linings, and all the things Carolinamama said. I’m also hoping that this pandemic will stir more kids into the sciences, will bring kids to see life from a different angle, teach them to find new ways to do old things, and will make them more confident in the long run. So now we just have to survive- we need to wear masks, keep our distance, and be careful. If we as parents teach our kids how to find the opportunities in this unique time in our history (and do less whining about what everyone else ISNT doing right because serious- is it really helping?), our kids could turn out stronger because of it.

Marymoo, accept it- there is no good situation in front of you. I’d find another way to support your kids. Have you thought about hiring a private tutor to come to your house? Or at a minimum work with your kids via zoom? It’s not ideal but it’s better than what’s on offer right now for you.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

And in the “I’m disgusted in several different levels” I got a mailer for a military boarding school. (It was actually addressed to my MIL. Apparently they think she had money to send her grandkids.) Headline: “Don’t risk Covid-19 in public day school!” You know, all those unwashed masses. I went to their web site, lots of words and little detail ability their Covid 19 plans. I hope the go under this year.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast