Default Gifting year of diapers or other idea for nephew having first baby

Our nephew's girlfriend is due in September. They are students, living together, with about as nothing as you would expect. I want to gift them with something practical yet meaningful if that is possible. Through friends and family they have a crib, infant car seat, changing table/dresser, and stroller.

I'm looking at the a year's worth of diapers. Scoped out IncrediBundles to fit our needs the best, but not will look into others. They live several hours away from us and in a smaller town without any of the big box stores.

I was also considering gifting a few things now and then buying convertible carseats for 1st birthday.

Any other ideas? Experience with a subscription service?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Not all diapers work well with all kids. Would she be able to switch up brands? I even switched to cloth with one of mine because he was so sensitive to the major brands.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I think a diaper subscription (for any length of time -- 3 months, 6 months, a year, whatever) would be a fabulous gift. Some great options would be Honest, Target subscribe & save, or Amazon subscribe & save. I've used all of them at one time or another. The latter two would let you change the brand of diapers if one didn't work out for their baby for any reason. They'll just need to tell you when baby is outgrowing a size. Convertible car seat(s) a bit later would also be a fabulous gift, but depending on the size of the baby and what infant seat they have, it may need to come before the first birthday. Both of mine still comfortably fit in the infant seat at 12 months, but they were tiny and I know a lot of babies don't.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think a year of diapers would be an amazing gift, but due to the fact that it's hard to predict sizes, it'd be a pain to have to contact you about changing sizes, etc. I think the best way to achieve that would be to calculate estimated cost and then give a gift card for that amount with a note explaining your intentions (and the magic of subscribe and save for diapers, lol).

The convertible carseat would also be a fantastic gift, but I'd consider giving it now. Definitely some babies outgrow their infant seats before 1 year -- or it's more convenient to switch early. Also, if they only have 1 carseat right now, but 2 cars, the convertible could likely get use right from the start (since most I'm familiar with work for infants, too).
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Only problem I see with buying a convertible seat early is the expiration date. Would be a shame to burn a year of use not being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m too much of a deal hunter to be able to gift a diaper service. I would either gift the entire amount in a Target or Amazon gift card or you could donate a couple of packages now and send gift cards each month. Car seat would be a great gift but I would tell them now to let you know when they’re ready to buy the next car seat to let you know and you’ll gift it to them.

The subscription I was looking at has four brands to chose from. You can change brand/size each month and take months off as needed.

This all involves ILs and it is messy. We are the stuck up relatives. I think this nephew will in general make decent choices. But he and girlfriend are 20 and from what I know about being 20 and my experiences with older nephews in the past, I do not trust them to make the greatest choices if I gave large gift card/cash gift.

DH is talking to grandpa to be (his BIL) to see if there's anything else obvious.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was a young mom in college full time when I had DS1. The one gift I was always so grateful for were the 2 big boxes of diapers from Costco that my best friend's dad gifted me!!! I still talk about it with her!

So I think diapers are a great idea!

I also had like no furniture at the time in my 1 bedroom apartment and those Huggies boxes served as my nightstands next to my air mattress! So yeah, I get the poor college student/new parent life!

My other favorite gift was the fully loaded (with bassinet and changing table) Pack-N-Play that my other friend gifted me. DH and I didn't live together at the time so the Pack-N-Play got a ton of use at his apartment and at my mom's house every time I went down to visit. Super young parents probably get help with the in laws more often and most likely will need a place for baby to sleep at their houses when they're babysitting, etc.

When we had DS1 I had just turned 22 and DH had just turned 21.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    The subscription I was looking at has four brands to chose from. You can change brand/size each month and take months off as needed.

This all involves ILs and it is messy. We are the stuck up relatives. I think this nephew will in general make decent choices. But he and girlfriend are 20 and from what I know about being 20 and my experiences with older nephews in the past, I do not trust them to make the greatest choices if I gave large gift card/cash gift.

DH is talking to grandpa to be (his BIL) to see if there's anything else obvious.
    Subscription service sounds great!

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I know you're asking about subscriptions but for a friend of mine young daughter and son-in-law, I just ordered weekly from Walmart for six months.