Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I TOTALLY hear you! One large cluster has apparently been traced back to an 'illegal' football camp on the south shore. Some families I know are apparently going to NH or RI for games not allowed in MA
    Of course it would be the south shore. They probably all think their kid will be the next Tom Brady.

m4nash is online now Silver level (200+ posts)

Youth club sports are going on here in MD. There have been lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, baseball, and softball tournaments going on since late June. The tournaments have had lots of restrictions in place such as spectators must wear masks and social distance, only one adult allowed per athlete, athletes must wear masks when not playing, and no team tailgates.

School sponsored sports are still up in the air though. They haven’t outright cancelled fall sports in my district (like several neighboring districts have done), but they have pushed the fall sport start date from August to September. Our HS Marching Band has cancelled all activities for the summer/fall.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    And professional sports and college sports are not sure about continuing the season but high school sports is still on! Several smaller college conferences in our area have canceled all fall sports this year. I'm also confused about how band is still being allowed. They stand and march pretty close to each other. And instruments are pretty yucky with saliva, etc. especially with kids that have not been playing for very long. Yet summer band camp for Jr. and Sr. High are starting up here soon. Glad my daughter that plays clarinet is not yet old enough for that so that I don't have to say no!
    Their band drill has them at least 6' apart on the field. No parades, so not next to each other there. They are only outside and the director is insisting on social distancing and masks whenever they aren't playing. It seems pretty good to me. I don't know how indoor band class will work once school starts though.
    Kris

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by melrose7 View Post
    We did baseball for the summer. No masks, minimal social distancing from kids on the bench.
    Soccer resumed for practice in July. No masks
    DD2 started back at ballet in studio in June, no masks.
    DD2 and DS are doing indoor swim lessons at the high school
    I started back playing soccer in July. No masks
    Football is suppose to start end of August as of now
    I am fine with the no masks and everyone for all sports/activity haven’t had any positive cases
    We are in Wisconsin too. I haven’t checked (it’s been a very busy weekend)- aren’t there any recommendations for school sports? Now that our state has a mask mandate I figured they would say something about the sports....

Our school is private and I see emails with information about sports starting up. We don’t do fall sports so it’s not a concern. All 4 of my kids do a lot of Boy Scout stuff in the fall and their troops are continuing with troop and PLC meetings via zoom. Tent camping allows only family members together in the same tent unless 2 families agree to share. I saw pictures from
    summer camp and the kids were all required to wear masks except when eating. Most activities were outdoors.

Dd’s ballet school is offering in-studio and online classes. They’ve cut their class sizes in half and opened up the rooms so their girls have more than 10 feet around them. They are taking temperatures, requiring masks and allowing kids who need to be absent to zoom into their classes and practice from home. I’m so impressed with all the precautions they are taking that I’m allowing Dd to take some in-studio classes this fall even though we are keeping all our kids home to virtual learn. If their private school was taking these precautions maybe I would let my kids attend in person.

All 4 kids downhill ski and we are praying our little local hill doesn’t shut down their business. The kids could easily distance there outside. But the chalet is always packed and that’s what I’m worried about. Maybe if the kids promised to keep their snow gear on inside the chalet when their pass is scanned, I’d be ok with them skiing. We will see what happens
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

speo is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

In CA, all youth sports for watchlist counties are supposed to be shut down. Any type of team sport that is doing training even if it is called a camp shouldn't be happening. However, I know many teams aren't following these rules. Volleyball, water polo, softball, soccer, and I'm sure many more. Several teams are practicing in more hidden places, including a private school that is out of the way and a very exclusive country club.

DS1 is on a very high level high school sports team. The coaches are holding training up in our local mountains and daily training locally depending on the group. We are keeping ds1 out, but I fear he is losing status with the coach because he is not practicing with the group ... even when none of them should be practicing.

CA high school sports have been postponed until at least Dec/Jan. Our local ayso fall soccer and winter basketball leagues have been cancelled. Just waiting to see when the cancel the club soccer league.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Football and volleyball and band are allowed fully in my state. There's rules like no spitting, try and socially distance, bring your own water, face masks at certain times, etc. The news lists several football players that are leaving their states to come to our state and play out their senior year here. Ugh.

I think rec fall soccer is on as normal, club basketball and baseball has been going on all summer. We got all the huge tournaments that were cancelled in Chicago, etc. There were several huge dance competitions in the state over the summer.

Marching band is practicing in separate groups on separate days, outside.

I'm super dubious about the whole thing, but the state did allow high school baseball / softball and over 95% of the state's teams played their whole seasons without having to cancel due to positive tests. Watching the news footage of the games though, parents just did NOT do any social distancing or wear masks. Our state's numbers ain't at all low though, but I would blame the general laissez faire attitude that allowed all the sports rather than just the sports themselves.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Fall sports are a go here, I'm assuming that means football too. PIAA just decided last week that the fall sports season will start as planned but the post season may be shortened (not as many teams or games for play-offs I think). They are also not allowing spectators at sporting events, parents included. Some local politicians are fighting this. My 8th grader has been doing summer practices 3 times a week for cross country. This is listed as one of the safest sports, contact wise (there are 3 tiers, football is the most risky). She starts normal season practices 5 times a week Aug. 10. We have already talked with her about the possibility of the season being cut short due to outbreaks. So far there have not been any reported sports related outbreaks in our county, but a few neighboring county high schools have had to do two week quarantines for either players or coaches testing positive (I know at least one school was for football, another was for lacrosse or soccer I think). Schools are to be checking temperatures and doing a symptoms checklist with players and coaches before every practice and game. School starts Aug. 27, I'm curious to see how long into the start of school it will be before practices/games have to stop or quarantine for 2 weeks since most of these kids will be back in school together.
    My DD's volleyball teammate was one here in PA who tested positive and had to quarantine. And yet we didn't find out about it until 12 days later because it took that long for test results to come back. VB is a contact sport and yet they are proceeding as of right now. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Football and volleyball and band are allowed fully in my state. There's rules like no spitting, try and socially distance, bring your own water, face masks at certain times, etc. The news lists several football players that are leaving their states to come to our state and play out their senior year here. Ugh.
    I hadn't even thought about that. If football doesn't get off the ground here in NC, I imagine more than a few players will "need" to go stay with relatives in another state for a while..
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I hadn't even thought about that. If football doesn't get off the ground here in NC, I imagine more than a few players will "need" to go stay with relatives in another state for a while..
    Yeah, it feels icky. There isn't even a ruse of out of state relatives.

It started with the large private Catholic school that is known for sports recruiting, I mean cherry-picked full scholarships to students who happen to be gifted athletes. But, then came plenty of out of state kids going to its public school rival.

The players' states are saying their seasons will be winter or spring. I wonder if the kids will be able to go back and play at home after they play here for fall?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3