Question Anyone here a confirmation leader/ 'guide?'

I'd like to be one, but I don't know that DD is o.k. with it (she's just starting; it's a three year thing).

Have you been one for your own DC or other kids? Would you recommend it, or not?

Would love feedback before I possibly volunteer!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What denomination are you?

I'm UMC and taught a confirmation class of sorts years ago but not one my own kids were in. We had a pastor who allowed kids to join without going through confirmation and I was the middle school Sunday School teacher. After one too many classes where kids who were members of our church did not know the basics, I ordered confirmation class materials and used that for our Sunday School materials for about 6 months. But it was a much shorter duration than 3 years. It wasn't my favorite material ever, but I really did feel like I was helping that group of kids "get" Christianity. I've actually looked for similar material for the group in middle school now, but haven't been able to find it again. (And a pastor we had since then cleaned out the closet of old Sunday School materials, so I can't just use the old materials.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Thanks for the response!
    We're ELCA. We had our first meeting by Zoom last night, and for now they'll be doing everything through that. I'm not sure how many kids, total, are in the group, but we're a big church, and there were 36 on last night. I like that they're grouping the kids by interests, hobbies, and learning styles, so that's cool. . I'm hopeful that the program they use is high-quality; the main leaders seem great!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, at my church (UMC) I've been both a Confirmation leader and a mentor, twice, while my DS and DD1 were going through Confirmation. We had a much shorter program. But it is intense- it's a very full program! At our church, the main leader who coordinates everything is the youth director. Volunteer leaders sign up for specific duties. Since my own child was participating, it was easy for me to be a leader and mentor. We already had all the dates saved on our calendar! I really enjoyed it.

Confirmands make a short list of who they'd like to be their personal mentor (Since it's a big commitment, the leader asks the mentors before the student does. Sometimes people say no.) Sunday school leaders and friends of parents are always at the top of the list. It sounds like you are both!

Since parents are already a guide for their kids, they can't be the second 'official' church mentor for their own child. This lets the child develop a friendship with someone in their church family. In your situation, I'd encourage you to make sure a non-family adult takes your own kid under their wing. That way you can be a leader and your child gets to expand their sense of being in a wider church family. I am still in regular contact with the girls who I mentored. I treasure my connection with them.

One little side note to add: If you lead, it's best if you are very comfortable listening to kids talk through their doubts and questions about God and religious practices. I bring this up as we had one mentor, who also taught one class session, who felt uncomfortable with this. She'd get brusque and shut the conversation down. Questions are so normal and healthy at this age!