Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Blue-Ray Player Died! Would you replace?

Our Blue-Ray/DVD player doesn't get used all that much these days. We have streaming services that we pay for (Disney Plus and apparently HBO something from our cell phones), but we also use Amazon to rent movies and lately we've been using a bunch of free movie channels on Roku. I noticed that even when we want to see something we own DH will often search to see if he can find it streaming somewhere--mostly because most of our collection is made of just DVDs and he prefers the higher quality he'll get on streaming.

SO, do we replace the DVD player? Or just let it die? It feels like a tremendous loss never to be able to see the drawer full of DVDs that we have...but we use it really very little.

What have you done?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They aren’t that expensive so I’d get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you’re planning on keeping your dvds, I would replace the player. You could wait for a sale but I would plan to replace it eventually.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We donated the majority of our DVDs to the library. For the majority of things we don't miss it. DD likes DVDs for some old school stuff that is largely only available in that format, so we've kept some old xbox to be able to play those, but haven't purchased anything. I'd double check first that there isn't something you already have that would play them and see where you are a year from now.

Do you have an xBox or Playstation? They are able to play DVDs. We haven't had a designated DVD player in years and don't miss it but I also haven't bought a Blueray/DVD movie in years.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like you don't need it. I would just let it die and see if anyone misses it. Our remote for our DVD player died a few years ago, it got wet or something, and we have not used it since...

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you have any computers that will play DVD? That's what we do in our RV.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Our Blue-Ray/DVD player doesn't get used all that much these days. We have streaming services that we pay for (Disney Plus and apparently HBO something from our cell phones), but we also use Amazon to rent movies and lately we've been using a bunch of free movie channels on Roku. I noticed that even when we want to see something we own DH will often search to see if he can find it streaming somewhere--mostly because most of our collection is made of just DVDs and he prefers the higher quality he'll get on streaming.

SO, do we replace the DVD player? Or just let it die? It feels like a tremendous loss never to be able to see the drawer full of DVDs that we have...but we use it really very little.

What have you done?
    I would replace it if i had a million DVDs, but the wifi in our house stinks and we use our dvds. (We still have our VCR also...) My sister likes to go to the salvation army to replace dvd and vcr and other dated small appliance things. that way you're only out 5 bucks or so

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Do you have an xBox or Playstation? They are able to play DVDs. We haven't had a designated DVD player in years and don't miss it but I also haven't bought a Blueray/DVD movie in years.
    This 100%

It sounds like the DVD player is rarely used and doesn't bring you joy! I wouldn't replace it.

We have a Playstation that can play DVDs if I want to one day watch my birth videos or the kids' school musicals, but we actually haven't played a regular DVD in years and our personal collection consists of about 5 that DH refuses to get rid of. We stream everything.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We used our Xbox for years as the DVD player until the Xbox died. I would do that again if it is an option. We still use our dvd on a regular basis though so if I didn’t have a video game system I would get another DVD player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast