AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Working parents, how much time did you take off work after moving?

We are moving on Saturday (only an hour away). I cannot do my job without internet (I have to be physically plugged into the router), but I ordered internet service and my set up kit is supposed to be delivered to the house by Friday so I hope I can set it up that day so I should be ready to go by Monday. I had originally asked for the whole week off when we thought we were going to hire painters to paint the interior of the house (before we actually spent any time in the house), but as of now we don’t have anyone scheduled. We really need to paint the bedrooms (our bedroom is yellow and dh hates yellow, and one girls room is NE Patriot Blue, and the other bedroom is Raiders silver and black), but the kitchen, bonus, and living areas can wait. DH and I can paint so that isn’t a huge issue, but now I am wondering if I really need the whole week off. Dh thinks I should save my vacation, but my job is a little stressful so anytime off is welcome, but I had two weeks of in June (because I had a cyst removed off my back) and I feel like it took me a whole month to get back into the swing of things. I am now thinking that I should just take off Monday and Tuesday, but another whole week would be nice. Dd2’s first day of school is the following Monday and I had requested that day off as well just to make sure she gets settled in okay. I would probably take off that day are well or at least half a day.

FWIW: in a regular non covid year we took 1-2 weeks of vacation a year, and then some random days off through out the year. I liked those random days off a lot. Post covid other than my surgery I think I took off one day in June for Dd1’s graduation. We have no trips planned in the near future, but next year I am trying to talk DH into taking a trip to Hawaii if things are better, but I should have more than enough vacation for that by then.

What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would probably take Monday and Tuesday off and then maybe half days (afternoon off) the rest of the week (you are WFH right now, if I remember right). You will need to unpack and organize, but doing that all day can be exhausting. It also gives you time to go to stores during the day for all the things you will find you need.

Also is your DH off the whole time? That would probably factor into my thinking as well.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When we moved to this house I didn't have a choice and did not take time off. If I had the choice, I'd take the week. Especially working from home, all that stuff staring at me undone drains me. Having a few days to focus on the house and not trying to do everything would do a lot for my mental health. I've done the unpacking/painting/organizing/cleaning new house before/after work and could do it if I had to, but also know that for me, I feel pulled in both directions trying to do both working from home and feel drained by the process, especially when work is stressful. It's not like you need to save the vacation for a real vacation right now with any trips in the near future...

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd probably split it up- take this Thursday and Friday off to finish packing and getting things ready, then take Monday and Tuesday off next week to get set up and organized, then take next Monday off too for your daughter's first day. That still ads up to one week off but makes better sense of when you'll need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I'd probably split it up- take this Thursday and Friday off to finish packing and getting things ready, then take Monday and Tuesday off next week to get set up and organized, then take next Monday off too for your daughter's first day. That still ads up to one week off but makes better sense of when you'll need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. Good luck with the move Annie!

Default Working parents, how much time did you take off work after moving?

Well we just got the news that our house closed today and that means that we get keys this evening. We are going to take some small stuff out there (maybe tonight), and then we will be able to go out there also on Friday to get a head start on painting so that will help. We need to primer the walls in the girls bedrooms before we can even pick paint colors so we can do that on Friday and do that. I will take off Dd2’s first day of school as well.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-03-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Update! So I ended up scheduling to be off 1/2 day 8/6, 8/7 was my regular day off and then off 8/10, and 8/11. I got to the house on 8/7 and went to install the wireless internet and it said it would take a while for the modem to update and cycle so when it hadn’t completed it’s cycle by the time I left that evening I figured I would try again on Saturday. Tried on Saturday and the modem still wasn’t connecting properly. So I called Spectrum and low and behold the cables left by the old owners were not Spectrum compatible and a technician couldn’t get out to fix them until 8/20. I promptly cancelled the Spectrum service and called AT&T and ordered service through them. The house had AT&T cables so it should be a plug n play once the modem arrives. Modem was scheduled to arrive by 8/11. That modem ended up not ever being picked up by Fedex so after Fedex tracking telling me it would be here on 8/12 (and me requesting an additional day off) and it not arriving I called and requested status on the order AT&T cancelled the order and sent a new modem scheduled to arrive on Tuesday 8/18. I can’t work without wired internet and my work ended up not being able to authorize a laptop and hotspot so I ended up with an additional 5 days off. I did check emails and return phone calls, but if I would’ve just taken the whole week off asking for those extra two days while waiting for the internet would’ve been a whole lot less stressful.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That internet debacle sounds so frustrating! Glad you’re in now!!

Everything seems okay though? You love the house?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

i took off very little time for the mover part -- they delivered the furniture & boxes on saturday half day on a couple of days but i did work fewer hours eg 9-4 or something like that vs normal 7-5 or 6 however i have had to take an hour here and there for various people to get into the house or get stuff (couches) delivered/
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    That internet debacle sounds so frustrating! Glad you’re in now!!

Everything seems okay though? You love the house?

Yes, how’s everything with the new house?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains