AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Need primer recommendation for covering up dark walls....update #8

We need to paint the girls rooms and need a primer recommendation that works on covering dark paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-26-2020 at 12:50 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Any cheap primer will do, in my experience. Just go to Lowe’s or HD. Don’t pay for a premium brand as it’s not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Have them tint it depending on final color. Some paint colors need multiple coats if primer is white.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Depending on what kind of paint you use, you might not need primer. I was able to cover up a dark magenta with two coats of a light blue using Benjamin Moore Aura. BM Aura is truly self priming in my experience.

00873366-E7BF-4AEC-8634-DD8978EE2C49.jpg

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

BIN. I believe it is a Zinzer product.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our local Ace hardware sells “oops” paint (customer mixes wrong color) and I can almost always find a gallon of a really good paint like Benjamin Moore for $15/ gallon tinted to a light neural color. That would work great as a primer (most paints already have primer built in so a gallon that’s already tinted a light color will go a long way with the increased pigment.)

Default Need primer recommendation for covering up dark walls

Thanks! We painted our current house with Behr’s paint and it has primer in it and it worked well, but we weren’t covering up dark colors. Not sure what brand we will be using this time. I picked up a bunch of paint chips from Sherwin Williams at Lowe’s. Years ago we had to cover red and did put white primer on first but then I read that I should’ve used a different tinted primer (but the basic white primer still covered well) so I wasn’t sure if that was still the norm to need a separate primer for dark colors. We used Kilz, and Zinnzer in the past and both were fine.

I have bought small cans of mismixed colors before and used them as samples.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-04-2020 at 01:42 AM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Default Need primer recommendation for covering up dark walls

Here are the final photos.
    Dd1’s room was the navy blue/grey room, and we used Sherwin Williams Snowy Mountain. We bought the paint from Lowe’s (it was labeled Sherwin Williams brand) and included primer. It took two coats and covered the walls quite well. The paint was also pretty stink free. The job was done in a day.

For Dd2’s room her room was the grey/black/white room. We had to do a coat of primer, and then three coats of paint. We used Dunn Edwards Peaceful Rain. (Dunn Edwards in brand specific to the Southwestern/Rocky Mountain US, and Kentucky.) Both the primer and the paint smelled more than the Sherwin Williams, but the paint applied flawlessly. Dh said the Lowe’s Sherwin Williams paint was almost very comparable for about $10 less a gallon, and it was less stinky. This was the exact same paint and paint line we had painted in Dd2’s room in our old house when Dd1 was a newborn in 2006 so we knew it would last so I didn’t really fret the additional $20 or so we paid for the two gallons of paint. Dd2’s room took a day to prep., a day to do the first two coats, and a second day to do the third....decided to do the 3rd after the second had been dry for 24 hours.

(we know we have to get the tops of the wall, but we needed to get Dd2 back in her room so we will eventually touch up the tops of the wall)

Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-26-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,