Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default s/o ADHD: meds for social challenges

My DD (11) was diagnosed with ADHD. She doesn't have a classic presentation. She doesn't have a problem with academics per se - it's more impulse control. For example, she thinks she can't do something and her anxiety (diagnosed and medicated) will start to spiral. The biggest challenge has been socially. She doesn't have a filter and things fly out of her mouth and she has alienated a lot of people.

The neuropsychologist recommended that we try medication. My question is - how do you medicate for ADHD when the behavior happens all day? From what I understand the medication is very short acting. It seems like most people use it for school. Our challenge is socially at school and in the home. Has anyone dealt with something similar?
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

There are long acting meds. DS1 takes concerta, which lasts until maybe 5-6PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

My son and I both take medication that lasts for the day. You take it in the morning and it lasts around 10-12 hours. Even if she doesn’t NEED it for school I’m betting it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    The neuropsychologist recommended that we try medication. My question is - how do you medicate for ADHD when the behavior happens all day? From what I understand the medication is very short acting. It seems like most people use it for school. Our challenge is socially at school and in the home. Has anyone dealt with something similar?
    Long-acting meds are a lifesaver - they don't wear off at lunchtime (requiring a "booster" dose) and usually have us set through homework.

My nephew AT has attention challenges and anxiety; I don't know which combination of medications he takes, but they seem to get his anxiety under enough control for him to function even on hyperfocus/logorrhea days.

DD takes extended-release Concerta; it seems to keep her on a more even emotional keel than her previous Adderall XR.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The Chief Medical Officer at the psych hospital where I work gave a great lecture on ADHD meds. (he is a child psychiatrist) His take on this is that the meds help program the brain for pathways that include positive interactions. When kids are not medicated their brains are programmed to be in a constant stress/impulse mode. He recommends that kids with ADHD that impairs social functioning be medicated 7 days a week-no breaks. They need to learn how to have positive interactions. So meds plus therapy plus "social coaching" classes for kids are really key. Ask your doctor if they have a list of recommended classes for kids. Call a local childrens hospital or clinic--they often host them. One of our local school districts hosts them as well.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are currently tweaking DS2 (10) meds - he also has anxiety. I just read this article yesterday and found it really helpfulto understanding his social issues https://www.additudemag.com/rejectio...dysregulation/

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The Chief Medical Officer at the psych hospital where I work gave a great lecture on ADHD meds. (he is a child psychiatrist) His take on this is that the meds help program the brain for pathways that include positive interactions. When kids are not medicated their brains are programmed to be in a constant stress/impulse mode. He recommends that kids with ADHD that impairs social functioning be medicated 7 days a week-no breaks. They need to learn how to have positive interactions. So meds plus therapy plus "social coaching" classes for kids are really key. Ask your doctor if they have a list of recommended classes for kids. Call a local childrens hospital or clinic--they often host them. One of our local school districts hosts them as well.
    This is so helpful. Thanks for posting.

DD took intuniv, which really helped with her impulse control. She also took a liquid form of ritalin so that we could adjust the dose as needed (more during the week; less on weekends and on holidays).

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    This is exactly what our psychologist told us. It's like making regular pathways of thinking. As they get in the habit of thinking a certain way, they develop "ruts" in the brain where their thoughts just naturally follow those new ruts. Our psych explained that eventually as he builds these regular ways of thinking, he might be able to go off the meds. Social coaching classes or regular meetings with a behavioral psychologist can help tremendously.

ETA that anxiety can piggyback some forms of ADHD (per our behavioral psychologist) and antidepressants can really help with social situations too.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 08-05-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We use Concerta in combination with Zoloft (for anxiety) to combat very similar issues to what you described. ADHD and GAD are often comorbid, and sometimes it's best to medicate for both.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast