Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The Chief Medical Officer at the psych hospital where I work gave a great lecture on ADHD meds. (he is a child psychiatrist) His take on this is that the meds help program the brain for pathways that include positive interactions. When kids are not medicated their brains are programmed to be in a constant stress/impulse mode. He recommends that kids with ADHD that impairs social functioning be medicated 7 days a week-no breaks. They need to learn how to have positive interactions. So meds plus therapy plus "social coaching" classes for kids are really key. Ask your doctor if they have a list of recommended classes for kids. Call a local childrens hospital or clinic--they often host them. One of our local school districts hosts them as well.
    This is consistent with my experience too. I know every situation is unique and has different pros and cons but I just can't imagine not having chosen meds for DS1 at age 6 what his life would look like. He is a great student and his peers like him. Before he was in trouble all the time and lots of kids really had a hard time with him. Obviously his challenges at age 16 are not the same as his challenges at age 6 but now he has had 10 years of positive experiences under his belt and I am happy for him.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    We are currently tweaking DS2 (10) meds - he also has anxiety. I just read this article yesterday and found it really helpfulto understanding his social issues https://www.additudemag.com/rejectio...dysregulation/
    Wow. I think this is DD... Thanks for sharing this!

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just to update - we ended up waiting to try meds until we moved. DD1 started Focalin (generic) XR yesterday. She said her stomach felt a bit funny and she did have a lot of trouble falling asleep last night. She wasn't excited about taking it again today but needed to give it another shot.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So we have a different type of ADHD (Inattentive). What we have done is use it for school and then workEd with a psychologist for behavioral modifications in the home. The combo of both made a huge difference for him.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default s/o ADHD: meds for social challenges

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The Chief Medical Officer at the psych hospital where I work gave a great lecture on ADHD meds. (he is a child psychiatrist) His take on this is that the meds help program the brain for pathways that include positive interactions. When kids are not medicated their brains are programmed to be in a constant stress/impulse mode. He recommends that kids with ADHD that impairs social functioning be medicated 7 days a week-no breaks. They need to learn how to have positive interactions. So meds plus therapy plus "social coaching" classes for kids are really key. Ask your doctor if they have a list of recommended classes for kids. Call a local childrens hospital or clinic--they often host them. One of our local school districts hosts them as well.
    Late to this, but I see this in the classroom. A child with impulse control is constantly getting corrected by the teacher and other students start to point out what they’re doing wrong, even when teacher tells others to not point it out, kids will say “teacher, Johnny is drawing on the desk again”. It’s negative interaction after negative interaction, with very few positive interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2