ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any way to lesson cigarette smell in a beach rental?

We are on vacation this week, renting a home in a neighborhood that is about 10 miles from the beach. When we arrived yesterday the house smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke, so I texted the owner to let them know. She said the person who stayed the previous week had smoked in the front and back pitches but that the smell inside shouldn’t be bad and she apologized profusely. She dropped off two air purifiers for us to use and a bottle of wine for our inconvenience. I know I have a very particular nose, but I am still smelling the smoke and it makes me feel a bit ill. It is especially bad in the bathroom the kids are using, but I think the smoke smell has permeated the couch and everything in the house. I can even smell it on my dog when she sits on my lap when we are outside and I know the smell will stick to all of our belongings when we go home. Is there anything I can do to help lesson or cover up the smell for the remainder of our stay so it doesn’t drive me crazy? I’m actually dreading staying here the rest of the week due to this, but I know DH and the girls have really been looking forward to getting away so I don’t want to cut the trip short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Run the purifier nonstop, open windows, buy a diffuser and run something like lavender or peppermint nonstop.

I'd also call the owner again, I'm sure they will compensate you. Did the agreement say no smoking?

Spend as much time outdoors I guess? I'm sorry, I hate the smell of smoke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots of coffee grounds from coffee shops. We spread out trays of used grounds on cookie sheets and spread them throughout the house to dissipate strong smells. That and constant ventilation.
    K

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Lots of coffee grounds from coffee shops. We spread out trays of used grounds on cookie sheets and spread them throughout the house to dissipate strong smells. That and constant ventilation.
    You might also try burning coffee grounds in a dry fry pan... that was mentioned by a PP many years ago for getting rid of much worse odors. It’ll smell like burnt coffee for a while but it should dissipate.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Spray soft surfaces like couches with vinegar. And when you get home, use vinegar instead of fabric softener on all your clothes.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agree with vinegar suggestions above. Try boiling some as well - it will likely help. It will smell strongly of vinegar for a bit - but then dissipate.

I'd also probably try Febreze on the unholstery. Supposed to actually work - and I'd feel like I had done everything I could which would help me let it go.

(Note - I'm actually allergic to cigarette smoke so right there with you...so sorry.)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

All I can say is ugh. I hope you have good weather and can head outside for most of your days!!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel for you and hope the owner will offer some more help. I had a rental car last year that had all the windows down when I picked it up. I smelled smoke immediately but thought it would be ok. But it ended up being awful but I was on a schedule so couldn’t return. I picked my kids up from camp and when we got home DH could smell it on all of us and all of their stuff. It was all going in wash anyway but I know how that smell can permeate everything. It sounds like precious renter was smoking in house or outside with windows open.

Ugh. Does the owner have another property nearby that you could switch to? I can't stand the smell of smoke. Short of that, I hope some of the other suggestions here work. I'm sorry.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09