Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How's everyone on the East Coast, post hurricane/tropical storm?

How did everyone fare with the storm?

I'm in NNJ, it's bad. Likened to a tad better than hurricane sandy in terms of power outages. Many many streets around us lost power, tons of tree's down etc. We had bad wind but barely any rain. My street and a few others didn't lose power, not even a blip!

I feel for those w/o power especially since it's hot and humid too.

37k outages in NH. Lots of tree limbs and trees down. Damage to boats and docks on lakes.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend on the beach in NC said they got pounded. Seemed like the storm just stalled over them for hours with winds up to 100mph. Some roof damage and sand everywhere (they are oceanfront). Could have been worse though!!

Over 120K without power in RI. We lost it yesterday afternoon and it just came back on, so it was out for about 18-20 hours. That is the longest we have been without power in the 8 years we have lived in this house. We had some rain, but mostly just gusty winds for about 5-6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My sister (Pompton Lakes) has been without power since yesterday and her kids' camp & daycare are closed due to continued outages.

My brother Ger (Teaneck) did not lose power.

My brother Joe (NYC - Upper West Side) did not lose power.

We (Princeton area) did not lose power and the damage in our neighborhood is mostly ... downed branches, but nothing huge. We did hear what we thought was a transformer blowing out yesterday around 1pm, but other than a couple flickers, our power's fine. There are sections of our town that lost power & had downed trees, though. Friends in those sections are using their phones to post on FB about their outage and estimated restoration status.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Eastern-Central NC here. (West of 95, east of Raleigh). We lost power yesterday about 4:45. Got it back about noon. Seen much worse here, but here isn't everywhere. So many in the area where it made landfall were still recovering from the bad storms last year.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

lost power again. sigh. DH *just * came back from grocery store. and I was on a work meeting. sigh

The tree that fell was MASSIVE and it pulled down multiple poles and a transformer 1/4 block away. We've had news helicopters circling etc. but we're very lucky! Wasnt raining, the wind made it cooler and I suspect we'll have power again soon.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My friend on the beach in NC said they got pounded. Seemed like the storm just stalled over them for hours with winds up to 100mph. Some roof damage and sand everywhere (they are oceanfront). Could have been worse though!!
    And there were hurricane-associated tornadoes, with damage and a couple of deaths, inland from the beach. For "only" a Category 1 storm, it seemed more impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    And there were hurricane-associated tornadoes, with damage and a couple of deaths, inland from the beach. For "only" a Category 1 storm, it seemed more impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    She thought that the undersold the storm's severity.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So we are actually ON the island where the storm made landfall. We were supposed to be here for the week, but we stayed home until it passed since we weren’t paying to rent MIL’s house. We came down around dinner time, and we read on FB the national guard was evacuating the island. Turns out it was mainly the middle of the island, and not the part where our house is.

It’s bad for a Cat. 1. Being from FL, I’ve seen some bad stuff. Here’s the mainland marina where we were supposed to be renting a boat the day of the storm! (Pics from FB) This is the little historic town where lots of movies are filmed.

And on the island, there were cars floating all over the place, into pools, canals, etc. A brand new house was totally burned, dishwashers and outbuildings floating down the street, a house moved off its foundation. I guess it did strengthen and drop some tornadoes as well before heading out quickly. We just seemed to have lost some shingles on a few sides, but in the immediate area of landfall there’s no power, water, sewer, etc. and they’re evacuating more so they can get everyone back online more quickly.
    ...after they get a few feet of sand off every street and yard! And there’s an indefinite curfew in town. I feel a little guilty just being here unable to help in any way besides praying for them and staying out of the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast