Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What IS working in your area?

It seems we only hear about the outbreaks or businesses/schools/day cares/camps that have to close due to outbreaks. There is some of that in my area but also many things that have been open and operating with no outbreaks.

There’s been a lot of press about overnight camps that had to close but my kids spent 2 weeks at a Y camp that has been operating successfully since the end of May. They have both a day camp and overnight camp. The local Y was first offering childcare for essential workers but since mid May has been offering child care and camps and the outdoor pool has been open. Our Country Club has had golf the whole time, Tennis and pool since May and summer camp since May with no incidents. DC’s private school (and other private schools) have had summer camp programs that have worked.

I don’t know if it is just luck or following all of the guidelines. Our state has been considered a hot spot but our numbers have been much better recently. The governor just extended our Phase 2 for another few weeks. Basically everything is open at reduced capacity except gyms, bars, bowling/movies. Indoor gatherings limited to 10 and outdoor to 25. Mask mandate since late June.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What IS working in your area?

Pretty sure there are no overnight camps happening in my state this summer. The few in person day camps seem to be working though.
    No pools opened until mid-June (and many didn't reopen). They are fine.
    The one that surprises me is the local amusement park. It's been open about a month now and no problems. I have also heard it's very empty so that probably helps. Cleaning and mask compliance are very high and I am actually considering using my season pass to pop in. Just go ride 2 coasters and walk around.
    ETA- masks have been required since April or May (and people are compliant in my area). Bars are closed. Restaurants are maybe allowed 25% inside, outside ok, both require distancing.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 08-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Pools, camps and sports are happening here and I have not heard of any issues. These are all taking place outdoors. That definitely seems to be the key- Our numbers have not been good, but it seems that bars and parties (and subsequent family spread) are the main culprit.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

outdoor semi-private pool club with online sign-up, Sam's club pickup orders (spotty at first), Shipt for MIL at retirement community, Fitbit activity trackers for DC, outdoor construction projects (deck and patio), FaceTime piano lessons, FaceTime/What'sApp/Duo messages/video calls with relatives we can't visit, MIL's beach house

and...hopefully...camping and boating with cousins next weekend. We anticipate that online school for everyone until Jan. will work for us, although we haven't started yet. Thankful our district stopped the anxiety/pandemonium by just making this decision. The lunch delivery program in our area seems to be working well, although it may change slightly when it becomes tied to the school lunch system vs. "anyone under 18 can eat."

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I know they close the beaches in my area around all the big holidays because of concerns about crowds and our proximity to a bigger, much more populous county that close THEIR beaches around big holidays...but I feel pretty safe on our beaches usually. There is plenty of space for everyone to naturally distance and of course lots of fresh hair...

But I'm reaching because almost everything around me is NOT working.

I kind of feel that it is important to open things when they are reasonably safe. I feel like otherwise people get really antsy and upset and then compliance on the big stuff goes down.

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It seems to me like outside things are working here, and inside with greatly reduced capacity and masks required.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What is working here: outside with masks, inside only briefer interactions (outside of immediate family, "pods", etc,) but definitely with masks

What is not working: travel, gatherings inside /gatherings without masks (even small ones), lack of social distancing, people not using masks
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well...they shutdown youth sports (well, to phase 1) recently due to an uptick in youth cases. And now they are re-opening them because detailed contract tracing did not show spread between kids playing sports except for HS football.

Locally, have not heard issues with camps (but Kanakuk is in the same state, 3 hours from here and they made headlines).

We have dental practices and no issues with them.

What is clearly not working is having bars open.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Very little is really open here so all that seems to be working is outdoor stuff with masks if you can't distance, outdoor seating only at restaurants, outdoor farmer's markets with masks, grocery stores/dentist/doctor's offices with greatly reduced capacity and masks. That's about it!

No sports, no camps, no indoor dining, no bars, no gyms, no malls, no offices, basically nothing indoors except for essentials.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For the past 5 weeks they've been running a camp in our town for ages 4-11. They do it outdoors, 8am-12pm so they don't have to deal w lunch, everyone wears masks, and split the kids up into small cohorts of 5-7 kids each with a counselor. Keep all siblings together, so the age groups can be a bit weird, but my kids have LOVED it. We've only had 3 positive cases in our town in the past 14 days (~0.3% positive rate) so I think it's working fine.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast