Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We were due to head to Ocean Isle where the hurricane made landfall tomorrow. Yesterday that looked impossible but the town just announced they are opening to the public tomorrow. So there’s still a lot of damage and clean up to do but power was restored and I think they are desperate for visitors to return.

It seems like damage in the Northeast is more severe than the NC coast which is interesting to me. Usually the storm fizzles out as it goes along but that didn’t seem to be the case here damage- wise. We are a few hours inland from coast and got nothing- not one drop of rain or wind.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We were due to head to Ocean Isle where the hurricane made landfall tomorrow. Yesterday that looked impossible but the town just announced they are opening to the public tomorrow. So there’s still a lot of damage and clean up to do but power was restored and I think they are desperate for visitors to return.

It seems like damage in the Northeast is more severe than the NC coast which is interesting to me. Usually the storm fizzles out as it goes along but that didn’t seem to be the case here damage- wise. We are a few hours inland from coast and got nothing- not one drop of rain or wind.
    I didn’t realize it hit ocean isle also. We are on Oak Island, in the same county, and it’s trashed. We are in Caswell Beach and things are intact, save for some shingles. But yeah, I totally didn’t realize how much it did in the NE either! I guess I was focused on our own stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My neighbor is in Charleston at the beach for a week in a highrise condo, she said it was no big deal (but she also thinks she's fine to return to IL after visiting S. Carolina and not get tested and carry on/plans to lie to the school about them being in S. Carolina). I'm not sure I believe her based on the pics I'm seeing. I"m not sure why she would say it was no big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    My neighbor is in Charleston at the beach for a week in a highrise condo, she said it was no big deal (but she also thinks she's fine to return to IL after visiting S. Carolina and not get tested and carry on/plans to lie to the school about them being in S. Carolina). I'm not sure I believe her based on the pics I'm seeing. I"m not sure why she would say it was no big deal?
    Hmmm... well Charleston is not on the beach. The two closest beaches are Folly Beach and Sullivan’s Island but I don’t think either have high rise condos. So wonder where she is? Regardless, they are all in SC and there was not as much damage as where it came ashore in N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I didn’t realize it hit ocean isle also. We are on Oak Island, in the same county, and it’s trashed. We are in Caswell Beach and things are intact, save for some shingles. But yeah, I totally didn’t realize how much it did in the NE either! I guess I was focused on our own stuff!

There were several houses that burned on Ocean Isle (I think lightening then spread by wind) so it’s a total loss for those people. So I think the damage varies greatly. But the fact that they got power back the next day and are ready to open 2 days later means it could have been much worse.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She's at Litchfield on the beach (sorry I'm not that familiar with the area), she showed pics of the rain on snapchat from Monday and it didn't look great.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In CT, we kept power but lots in town are still without and it sounds like it could be a couple more days. Little rain, but lots of wind and trees down. We had a very large chunk of a tree come down and were lucky it fell away from the house. I went out to grab McDs for lunch break from all the clean up but traffic was so bad from all the lights being out I ended up coming back empty handed.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The gift that keeps on giving ... today in Wilmington NC, 2 neighbors were out clearing fallen trees etc and were both killed by lightning... And as PPs mentioned, a fire on Ocean Isle destroyed 9 homes.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’re outside NYC. We had lots of limbs down in our yard and big trees down nearby. We lost power yesterday afternoon and got it back at late tonight. My DC did a great job rolling with it. DH had a harder time. He’s usually traveling when exciting things happen here so he’s not used to it. Communication lines were down so we didn’t have cell service either. So glad it’s been restored.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving ... today in Wilmington NC, 2 neighbors were out clearing fallen trees etc and were both killed by lightning... And as PPs mentioned, a fire on Ocean Isle destroyed 9 homes.

Even though the media attention has mostly shifted farther north, NC is still facing post-hurricane problems. During the night, there was another multi-house fire on Ocean Isle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast