Default Take puppy in for diarrhea?

Our 6.5 month old puppy has been having diarrhea since Sat. night. No other symptoms, although he did throw up a couple of times on Sun. The vet said to give only plain meat (cooked chicken, ground beef, turkey) and rice in a 1/4 to 3/4 cup ratio for every meal (no regular dog food or treats or anything).
    We've been doing that, but he's still been having diarrhea, though the vet tech said it can take 3-4 days (we started on Sun.).

Would you take him in? He's acting totally normal other than waking up overnight to go to the bathroom and having liquidy, mucousy poop. I don't want to waste the money if it turns out to be nothing, but I do want this taken care of before we go out of town on Sun. (taking him to a pet sitter).

Thanks for chiming in...

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd probably call the vet just to see if what you're describing is what they'd expect at this point.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Call the vet and ask. Specifically say it's mucous in it. When we had that issue, the vet had us skip a dinner, to give the gut a rest overnight, and that made a huge difference.

Will the pet sitter take him if he's still having issues? As long as puppy is up to date on deworming, I wouldn't worry otherwise.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My concern would be Parvo and that young I would definitely take in especially since you are going away and need him healthy. Has puppy finished Parvo vaccines? That usually happens around 6 months.