Thread: Greasy boy hair

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Greasy boy hair

One of my DC has had problems with greasy hair for awhile before covid. I asked if he’s rinsing well - he says yes. Using enough shampoo - says yes. Skipping conditioner - says yes. I’ve told him we might just need to have him shower with a swimsuit on so I can see what’s going on. Any thoughts or tips on what we should try? He looks like he’s not washing his hair but it’s wet and he knows it looks dirty so I don’t think that’s the problem. Help please. We generally use Kirkland shampoo but he has used tea tree shampoo and swimmer shampoo and it still looks unwashed. Thank you!

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Based on my "boy" experience, I wonder if he is not "scrubbing" well enough. You have to really work the shampoo into the hair, especially near the scalp, I don't think sometimes the kids do that well enough.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Based on my "boy" experience, I wonder if he is not "scrubbing" well enough. You have to really work the shampoo into the hair, especially near the scalp, I don't think sometimes the kids do that well enough.
    Yes to the above. My 11 yo DS2 doesn't scrub the shampoo in at all. It's also not uncommon for him to wet his hair in the shower and not shampoo. There are definitely times I shampoo and scrub him while he's showering. You could also get him a shampoo brush if he would be motivated by it. DS thinks it feels good on his scalp so he will use it.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is he showering in the morning? If my teen showers at night, he'll wake up with greasy hair regardless. I'd have him demo his technique via swimsuit to see.
    K

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Is he showering in the morning? If my teen showers at night, he'll wake up with greasy hair regardless. I'd have him demo his technique via swimsuit to see.
    My DS also has issues with greasy hair. Thanks for this tip! Not sure we can fit in showers in the morning, but we will have to try.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Honestly, what worked best for us was to have the barber really thin DS's hair during his haircuts. It's usually so thick he has problems both getting shampoo to his scalp and rinsing. both.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A little gross but definitely works. Have him use Dawn dishwashing soap once. (If he will let you - even better if you do it.) Really work it into the scalp and rinse well. Don’t do it regularly - just once to get rid of the buildup. Then agree with others to check his ongoing technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I find my hair gets build up over time and looks greasy, and an apple cider rinse does wonders. I just mix about 1 part acv to 5 to 6 parts water, and then get my hair lathered with shampoo and rinse with the diluted acv.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also had oily hair as a teen and my boys have also. What worked the best for me was shampooing and rinsing Twice. The first application seems to loosen the oil and the second really cleans it. We also switched to a clarifying shampoo.