Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone watching Indian Matchmaking?

I have heard good things about this reality show so I thought I would check and see if anyone on here has watched it and would recommend it.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes! Highly entertaining! But all the people are wealthy Indians. There is no one even close to average wealth. I also found it to be an unrealistic portrayal of India in the parts that are filmed there (my father is Indian and I have been several times).

I found it entertaining and addictive. There are a few characters who are really annoying, but that’s what makes reality TV so interesting, right?
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Anyone watching Indian Matchmaking?

I binged on it this week! I admit I was skeptical when I started watching but I couldn’t stop since it was binge worthy for sure! I’m Indian and could relate to some to it at some level. I guess a lot of this shopping for a life partner could across as crude to an outsider but marriage happens to be considered an inevitable milestone by Indian society!
    I found the Indian American clients quite real and relatable. 2 of the 3 they choose from India were probably from a very select demographic in India - rich, business families and is definitely not a representation of the whole really diverse country.
    The show’s point that marriage is a big thing in the Indian culture - thats undoubtedly true regardless of socio-economic status and region.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Myira; 08-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is it on Netflix? Prime? Sounds like gluttonous fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lol I binged this. Total mindless fun and addictive for me. I’m of indian origin… I think of it more as a parody than anything else, though it brings up some important issues and was very controversial. But I viewed this like I watch the bachelor. I don’t take that seriously at all, and I think it’s a miracle that any of them have worked out, but it’s kind of fun to watch especially when they do work out.
    The families they portrayed in India, at least two of them are wealthy business families. We know many like that from my Inlaw side. I can’t say it’s totally inaccurate, but of course they’re going to find larger than life crazy characters for these shows.
    I liked the counselor, the wedding planner, and the clothing designer. I thought those were the most “real.”
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another person of Indian ethnicity here. Watched it right when it came out, as did all my Indian friends. Sima Aunty can’t be cheap - she flies around the world doing her matchmaking, so it makes sense that her clients in the show are also affluent. Some of the comments are cringeworthy regarding slim, trim, fair, etc but unfortunately, those views are still very common in India even though the younger generations are moving away from them.

Overall, I viewed the show as just entertainment, and enjoyed it from that standpoint.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just wanted to add that I love the vignettes at the beginning of the show. So sweet! And agree with PP that her fees must be really high! My father was the only one of 13 siblings that did not have an arranged marriage. My cousins now have some arranged and some “love marriage”. It is all fascinating. And I do also cringe at the emphasis that lighter skin = more desirable.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Apparently Netflix India has put out a YouTube video as a sequel to this show which is mostly a parody of the show itself from what I heard I have not watched it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did watch it and found the racist overtones disturbing and the blatant sexism even more so. Not Indian so I guess I looked at it from an outsiders lens
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast