Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No surprise when the entire American discussion about what to do/not do now resolves around opinion and comfort levels. Even the discussion about deciding to send kids to school or not centers an individual family's comfort level, not risk of contracting or transmitting a deadly virus. Read the majority of articles on that topic and you will likely not see anything mentioning the community levels of infection but all about "we are comfortable sending our kids", "our kids need to be in a classroom", "whatever you choose is the right decision for your family". All individualism-based. Comfort shouldn't be absent from the conversation but it feels like the main deciding factor right now.

The other narrative playing into this behavior, as the article touches on, is that minorities have been hit disproportionately. Most deaths are among the elderly, minorities and those with underlying health problems. Society has decided that if they don't fit in these categories, they are safe to move and those that do, should just stay home.

Probably better for the BP, but I am finding myself declining more and more social invites. My friends that were very serious at first are doing things way outside my comfort level - indoor gatherings, eating at indoor restaurants. I just want to have a drink on the porch, 6 feet apart but everyone else wants normal. The numbers are growing but people are relaxing. And don't get me started on the businesses that are blatantly opening against the phase II guidelines.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I know! You can't pay me to go down to Florida this time of the year, never mind during a pandemic!
    I know!!! I’ve had 5 friends go there in the past 2 weeks. One spent a week in Florida, followed by a week in Wisconsin and bragged about how wonderful it to not have to wear a mask in either of those states. Now her kids are getting ready to return to in person schooling in a week. This is a perfect example as to why I feel it is unsafe to open schools. You can’t control what people are doing outside of school.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can’t Imagine. We have been distancing since mid March but allowed Dd to spend some time with her friends for a week in a remote place where they were outdoors all day away from people. She was At home (not even any stores) for two weeks before going but Dh and I were going to grocery stores etc. with masks and distancing. The whole time she was there until one week afterwards I was a nervous wreck and had panic attacks. I broke out in a cold sweat at night a few times (Of course I thought it was Covid but my temperature was totally normal though I measured several times- I thought it might be a menopause hot flash, but they went away with my anxiety so I think it was anxiety related). I couldn’t stand the thought that we had made a huge mistake, and this is despite us being so careful here and the girls and their families all being very cautious.
    I can’t even fathom doing anything riskier than an outdoor haircut with masks!
    I’m glad she’ll be living with college friends over the year so we hopefully won’t have more of these dilemmas. They are all scared of Covid and Have already discussed how they will do groceries, etc.
    I have a friend who lives in New York in one of the hotspots and she says she is one of the only people in her neighborhood wearing masks and distancing. Others are hanging out like normal, including her kids’ friends. It’s so stressful for her, so similar to what many of you have described. In our neighborhood it’s the opposite… sometimes People glare if you don’t wear a mask when you’re going for a walk, even if you can easily distance!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    No surprise when the entire American discussion about what to do/not do now resolves around opinion and comfort levels. Even the discussion about deciding to send kids to school or not centers an individual family's comfort level, not risk of contracting or transmitting a deadly virus. Read the majority of articles on that topic and you will likely not see anything mentioning the community levels of infection but all about "we are comfortable sending our kids", "our kids need to be in a classroom", "whatever you choose is the right decision for your family". All individualism-based. Comfort shouldn't be absent from the conversation but it feels like the main deciding factor right now.
    THIS!

Yes, public health is about what is best for the PUBLIC as a whole. This is what happens when the elected leaders, not the public health people, call the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post

The other narrative playing into this behavior, as the article touches on, is that minorities have been hit disproportionately. Most deaths are among the elderly, minorities and those with underlying health problems. Society has decided that if they don't fit in these categories, they are safe to move and those that do, should just stay.
    Yep. My town’s FB moms group had some post about not freaking out since our numbers are creeping up because the average age of death is 82 and no one under 19 has died. The message is, it’s not us or our kids, so we can all go play fall sports now. And don’t tell me to wear a mask a the 20 person bbq this weekend. If they could get away with saying “and it’s brown people dying” on social media I’m sure they would.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

It's all so confusing- people on this board are analyzers and researchers by nature but not everyone is like this. We had dinner with friends last night (outside on their deck). We have seen this family a few times over the summer and know they are being careful, working from home etc. Well, turns out the husband has been going to the gym daily and to inside church every Sunday. And I get it, these things are open and there are safety measures in place etc. I just feel like the guidance is not really clear on what is safe and what is not- and it is all left to individuals to decide. So frustrating. And no end in sight.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    It's all so confusing- people on this board are analyzers and researchers by nature but not everyone is like this. We had dinner with friends last night (outside on their deck). We have seen this family a few times over the summer and know they are being careful, working from home etc. Well, turns out the husband has been going to the gym daily and to inside church every Sunday. And I get it, these things are open and there are safety measures in place etc. I just feel like the guidance is not really clear on what is safe and what is not- and it is all left to individuals to decide. So frustrating. And no end in sight.
    I agree that the guidelines are so unclear and difficult. Flights are available and hotel rooms are renting out so it is understandable that people feel perfectly ok using them. Also, I did move around this summer. I drove to a cabin and on my drive I took a bathroom break going up and going back and needed to pump gasoline. The contact was limited but I didn't just stay home. I felt like my choices were safe but I feel like it is just different degrees of breaking what is known to be best protocol. I am trying really hard to be more charitable in my feelings towards family members and friends that make different choices than I do.

I do have a hard time with those who deny and flout every rule. DB and DSIL will be holding that huge intergenerational party that was narrowly avoided a few weeks back after all. They had cancelled the party because the DSIL's father suspected COVID. Now that that crisis has passed, it is back on. People flying in from everywhere, not distancing. It is hard.

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Im on the gulf coast of Florida and we have tons of out of state license plates driving around.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have very dear friends that are at Sturgis South Dakota for the big motorcycle rally. If you've seen any footage of that - scary! They're expecting 300,00 at least in that tiny town of about 6,800. (That is actually down - the rally can bring half a million!)
    I can't think of a better example of a super spreader event, with people of all ages, including older, and from all over the country.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We have very dear friends that are at Sturgis South Dakota for the big motorcycle rally. If you've seen any footage of that - scary! They're expecting 300,00 at least in that tiny town of about 6,800. (That is actually down - the rally can bring half a million!)
    I can't think of a better example of a super spreader event, with people of all ages, including older, and from all over the country.
    That looks totally crazy. All the crowd shots show a LOT of older people. And it’s been a rich source of interviews for the national media... "Motorcyclists know how to assess risk — they do it every day." "COVID19 was introduced by the Democrats to sway the election. It will disappear by mid-November after Trump is re-elected." Etc...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I agree that the guidelines are so unclear and difficult. Flights are available and hotel rooms are renting out so it is understandable that people feel perfectly ok using them. Also, I did move around this summer. I drove to a cabin and on my drive I took a bathroom break going up and going back and needed to pump gasoline. The contact was limited but I didn't just stay home. I felt like my choices were safe but I feel like it is just different degrees of breaking what is known to be best protocol. I am trying really hard to be more charitable in my feelings towards family members and friends that make different choices than I do.
    The Washington Post wrote a story about this yesterday. While the comments section gets bogged down in people arguing about masks/no masks, the story is really about people who do wear masks and distance, but make different choices. So, only going to the grocery store every two weeks versus visiting a few stores on a Saturday afternoon. I mask and distance, but I'm the girl who's hitting up the stores.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast