Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You guys, we have emailed back and forth a few questions and talked to our realtor briefly. We also talked to my BIL and his family just to make sure they didn't have reservations about the idea (they were excited....still keeping the younger kids in the dark for now obviously, too much disappointment at stake). We have not taken it any farther yet. DH and I had another talk yesterday and he just said he's concerned will get stuck again with this house. We bought our current house before the big crash...when was that? '06? I think he's concerned we'll get into a similar situation and lose equity like before and we'll be stuck with a 30 year instead of a 15. These are all very true reasonable facts. I think he wants to do it emotionally but he is also super practical and risk-adverse. I think he'll come around, but like I said, is the house going to be gone? I emailed them a couple days ago and it was still available, they also sent over the community standards/HOA info (no pool, which is another big con since many houses in a similar price point have a neighborhood pool). Also I asked about the builder in a local facebook group and got feedback from quite a few people which was good. Talked to two moms who are in that exact house plan and really like them. I'm trying to give DH some space to think it through which is so hard!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    You guys, we have emailed back and forth a few questions and talked to our realtor briefly. We also talked to my BIL and his family just to make sure they didn't have reservations about the idea (they were excited....still keeping the younger kids in the dark for now obviously, too much disappointment at stake). We have not taken it any farther yet. DH and I had another talk yesterday and he just said he's concerned will get stuck again with this house. We bought our current house before the big crash...when was that? '06? I think he's concerned we'll get into a similar situation and lose equity like before and we'll be stuck with a 30 year instead of a 15. These are all very true reasonable facts. I think he wants to do it emotionally but he is also super practical and risk-adverse. I think he'll come around, but like I said, is the house going to be gone? I emailed them a couple days ago and it was still available, they also sent over the community standards/HOA info (no pool, which is another big con since many houses in a similar price point have a neighborhood pool). Also I asked about the builder in a local facebook group and got feedback from quite a few people which was good. Talked to two moms who are in that exact house plan and really like them. I'm trying to give DH some space to think it through which is so hard!
    My DH is the same so I understand. Sounds like you are doing the right thing just giving him time. Real estate is crazy hot in my area and I just read that vacation homes are selling like crazy too. So I think it is a good time to buy and you will likely sell your house quickly. A neighborhood pool would be great but would also likely mean higher HOA. Are there other swim clubs/neighborhood pools you could join close by?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Any update??

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

As someone who has lived 4 houses from my parents ever since my children were babies and has refused to move unless we can still be walking distance from my parents, you cannot imagine how your life and your children's lives will improve being so close. -- DH agrees.

You guys I have no update unfortunately. I’ve fallen in love with the idea of this house but DH is having a horrible time at work and this issue with his pay situation has yet to be resolved. It has been so stressful, they continue to tell them there will be a resolution then continue to put him off. He is wound up so tight over this and I am afraid to even ask about it. We both feel like this is a red light for us and I am just trusting that if this is God’s plan for our family he will resolve this issue. We cannot proceed with any plans while DH’s job is in limbo like this. It is really awful and making us both so stressed. 😣

ETA: maybe I didn’t share the pay situation, now I can’t remember? He was given an undeserved, completely unexpected and unannounced pay cut three months ago. No explaination. No other employees have received cuts. (He does payroll, so he knows). He was told it was essentially a clerical error. He has been reassured multiple times it would be resolved. He has had to escalate the situation to HR and now is worried he’ll have to go over their heads also. The whole thing is completely ridiculous and makes me furious, honestly. For an essential employee who hasn’t missed a single day of work during COVID. Unacceptable. At this point it may mean we lose our chance at this house.
    Last edited by Melaine; 09-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.

ETA: maybe I didn’t share the pay situation, now I can’t remember? He was given an undeserved, completely unexpected and unannounced pay cut three months ago. No explaination. No other employees have received cuts. (He does payroll, so he knows). He was told it was essentially a clerical error. He has been reassured multiple times it would be resolved. He has had to escalate the situation to HR and now is worried he’ll have to go over their heads also. The whole thing is completely ridiculous and makes me furious, honestly. For an essential employee who hasn’t missed a single day of work during COVID. Unacceptable. At this point it may mean we lose our chance at this house.
    Oh no! That sounds horrible...and shady. It most definitely should not take this long to get something like that straightened out. Have they told him he'll be getting back pay? Sorry -- I don't want to be in your business, but I'm furious on your behalf!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Oh no! That sounds horrible...and shady. It most definitely should not take this long to get something like that straightened out. Have they told him he'll be getting back pay? Sorry -- I don't want to be in your business, but I'm furious on your behalf!
    They haven't made any real promises other than that it will be "made right". At this point I highly doubt he will receive backpay either but we just are hoping to have his previous salary restored. He has otherwise been pretty happy with the way this company has handled stuff so to have this hit him has been really discouraging....It just makes NO sense. And just having this hanging over our heads for so long has been horrible. It's like our lives are frozen, in limbo just waiting for the powers that be to get a clue.

They haven't made any real promises other than that it will be "made right". At this point I highly doubt he will receive backpay either but we just are hoping to have his previous salary restored. He has otherwise been pretty happy with the way this company has handled stuff so to have this hit him has been really discouraging....It just makes NO sense. And just having this hanging over our heads for so long has been horrible. It's like our lives are frozen, in limbo just waiting for the powers that be to get a clue.
    That isn’t even legal. Is there a way your husband can escalate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That isn’t even legal. Is there a way your husband can escalate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree, your dh should consult with an employment attorney.

I am trusting his judgement...he knows it is technically not legal and that he will escalate if necessary but he is trying to be patient. It’s a last resort for him I guess. The whole thing is such a pain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast