Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Can we see a model home pic? I have always wanted to have a new new house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the one click on photos for lots of different pics. https://www.greatsouthernhomes.com/f...arketing-image

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do it in a heartbeat. We moved several years ago to a larger home and it was the best decision. We have plenty of space to hang together and lots of nooks and crannies for people to go off and be alone if that’s what they need. Having family close by would seal the deal for me. Good luck deciding!

As someone who just moved with 3 kids I would say do it. Yes, it’s stressful & I’m also someone who can come up with 100 cons for every pro but getting settled before the girls are bigger is a huge win. Separate rooms & playmate for your son. 2200 sq ft is not unmanageable for cleaning.

I’d vote yes

How exciting! I'm in love with the whole house but that master suite looks absolutely amazing!

Having moved into a new spec home about three years ago, I can try to help with things to think about. First, Google the builder and talk to homeowners if possible to get a good sense of the quality of the build. Unbeknownst to us, the builder of our old house was horrible and kept selling his name then reincorporating to avoid the liability of his shoddy work and leaky/moldy stucco exteriors. Also find out about the warranty and what it covers. I'd also want to know if the house would be on public utilities or on a well or septic system. That, and find out if there will be gas or propane in the house. None of these things are dealbreakers, I'd just want to know up front what I'd be getting.

As for one of your cons, your utility bills might not increase a lot. This house has natural gas vs our old one with propane and the building code in our area is super strict about insulation in new houses. Our heating bill actually went down a mind-blowing amount even though our sf stayed about the same. Our natural gas bill runs about $25 in the summer and around $150 in the winter for a 4000 sf house. Our electric bill also decreased, but we had a huge fish tank in our old house, so comparing them would be unfair. I will say the biggest bill we've had is about $250 but DH likes it 74 during the day and 71 at night, so we run the AC fairly cold.

Good luck! It sounds like a great location and opportunity!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How finished is the home? If you buy earlier in the construction, you can often choose finish elements like tile and paint colors, landscaping, and so forth.

If you can afford to do so, it also sounds like your current home could make a great rental! If your current mortgage is modest, rental income should cover it easily with profit.

Good luck!

I would totally move! Sounds like it’s right time to move, so your kids can enjoy their new spaces/bedrooms and home for several more years before college.

The home dedicated office looks perfect for your home schooling needs too. Since it’s a new build, it’s more energy efficient too. So I bet your utilities cost won’t go up much, may even be the same despite more sq foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How much would your square footage increase? Looks great to me! I agree w pp, it’s not too big at all.

Just read your list—GO FOR IT!! You had me at garage, pantry, cul de sac
    The pros have it.
    Last edited by KpbS; 08-08-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    K

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    How much would your square footage increase? Looks great to me! I agree w pp, it’s not too big at all.

Just read your list—GO FOR IT!! You had me at garage, pantry, cul de sac
    The pros have it.
    it would be an increase of 900 sq. ft. But yes, garage, pantry, and cul de sac are so super appealing. I'm feeling more and more sold the more I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    it would be an increase of 900 sq. ft. But yes, garage, pantry, and cul de sac are so super appealing. I'm feeling more and more sold the more I think of it.
    Do it! The space increase is going to be a game changer for you and you have dreamed about moving from your current house for a while. Exciting!!!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Budget for doing landscaping. We have built 2 houses, one semi custom and one completely custom. They only include basic stuff...i.e. sod. Really know what the trim levels are. If you upgrade it adds up fast. Our current house builder had a package of high end appliances but as soon as I wanted one thing different (and this one thing was really important to me) that really added up. Budget for furniture for new spaces. But also remember that all of this can be done over time.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast