Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Prepping a family for their first real winter!

Over the years I have posted about my desire to move my family back to the midwest.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?501425-Thinking-through-a-big-move

While I grew up in the midwest, I have never had kids in cold weather. We did live in London for a year but honestly the winter was so mild. I want the kids to be happy and given that we will likely still e in some sort of quarantine, I want them to be able to have fun outside in our yard. I have 3 kids so happy so spend more money if necessary as I can pass it down.

We do have lots of lands end snow bibs from skiing.

What do we need to get? Any tips for how to set up the mudroom to keep snow and slush out of the house? Any general tips for living through a long winter? I'm also checking out pinkmomagain's thread for myself.

thank you!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Layers. So. Many. Layers.

More mittens/gloves than you think you need, especially the inexpensive knit ones, because they will inevitably be lost. (Trying to find bigger kids' and adults' sizes of these without the conductive index finger is hard!)

Same with hats - more than you think you need so you can always have at least one to wear, one in the wash, and one or two as a backup. DD (age 10) likes the character ones from Cat & Jack (she's partial to unicorns) but she also likes a fleece-lined knit cap we got at the Columbia Outlet ages ago.

I wouldn't bother with the snow bibs for regular cold, even for your warm-weather crew because they are bulky & harder to wash, but fleece-lined leggings or flannel-lined jeans/cords (can't find these in kids' sizes yet) would probably be easier to play in. If you can't find those, I have had DD use a base-layer set with long, thin socks or knit tights underneath, plus an extra pair of socks, topped by regular jeans. (Usually fine for anything but the most frigid of days and much easier to just play in than snow-bibs!)

As for keeping snow outside, teach them to knock their heels against a step or stoop outside before they come inside ... or get a boot tray & place it immediately inside the door. Even when she was littler, DD understood not to track snow inside the house and to leave her boots on the tile. Whichever door opens to the outside is the door where you stick the boot tray. Boots off, if snowy then coats/snow bibs off. If washing machine is nearby, all outerwear and wet layers are shed into the washer directly rather than left to melt on the floor. (DD has to use the garage entry to do this at our house, but it's really nice not to step in a puddle in my socks!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

(double post; sorry!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It really depends on where in the Midwest too. Minnesota is much colder than where I live for instance.

That said...we use our ski stuff for the snow/ extra cold. Base layers, wool socks, ski pants and parkas. My kids have a few different coats. The ski coats work for the coldest weather but their Patagonia down jackets are good for most days and fleece jackets on the warmer winter days.

Buy sleds early, they sell out fast when snow is in the forecast. Same with snow shovels. We have a long driveway, so we have a snowblower and a contract with someone to plow it if we get more than 2-3 inches (rare here).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just searched for found and read that other thread you linked to (the link didn’t work for me). Did you move to AA? Anyway, welcome back to the Midwest!

Does your new house have a mud room? If you are setting one up and you have some space, I’d set up a bench where one could sit to remove or put in shoes. I’d have bins or baskets to put dry shoes in. Have a separate tray for drying shoes/boots. Lots of books for coats, jackets and school bags. Overhead shelves or open cupboards for tucking hats, mittens, scarves, umbrellas, etc. Getting everyone in the habit of removing their shoes as soon as they come in the house means no one has step in food puddles with their socks.

Start looking now for coats, snow pants, mittens, gloves and boots. When my kids were younger I’d buy everything from Lands end for the season. Now they are older and wear their ski coats all winter. But my middle schoolers still love the Lands End boots. Don’t forget neck gaitors. At a minimum, you will want each parent to have a pair of waterproof boots. I love La Canadienne boots. Stylish, warm, waterproof and comfortable. They are VERY well made.

When snowblowers were first invented, I was little and I remember my parents singing their praises. The secret is to not let the snow get too high before you go shovel/snow blow or it will be much harder to clear it all. Try to keep up with it as it’s coming down. Depending on where you live snow tires for at least one car might be a good idea.

Another thread had me thinking of this recently. Gray lack of sun really can make you depressed. Especially with you just coming from California, I’d buy a couple of natural light lamps.

There are already so many good ideas on this thread. As I think of more, I’ll post.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sorry, double post
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Watch Lands End for their percentage off clearance sales. I use those sales to stock up on gear. I buy hats, mittens, layers, snow gear in whatever pattern / color they have on sale. I’ll then let my kids pick out a couple of sets in colors / styles they want from Target or somewhere else. Those super sale items are great for filling in when chosen items go missing. Now is a great time to scoop up sale items.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are lots of posts about exercising outside all winter, including gear recs. I’m happy to help! I like four seasons, but I get frustrated when March - May are cold.

September - November are the best months here. I like December too.

Re: mood, I don’t mind gray weather. In fact, to me, a sunny two degree day is the worst.

Generally speaking, getting outside every day really helps.

Sports are super competitive in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another thing to think about - make sure you have someplace to hang wet things! Gloves and hats need to be hung to dry pretty much every use. We have a simple coat tree in addition to our coat closet. We also have a waterproof laundry basket we bring out when the snow starts that we can come in the door, strip of layers and put right in the basket.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A boot tray with a mesh screen so they can drip dry is really helpful. Otherwise we don’t really do much else. Normal day to day doesn’t need much (gear, storage or mud room) in my experience. Shoes really are the main thing for us.
    Unless we have to be outside more than Door to car and back we don’t gear up either (skip the hats, gloves...). Heck, I skip a coat most the time too because I think they are annoying. I just move quickly. So, don’t go crazy buying stuff. See what your peoples tolerance really is and what your lifestyle if. If you aren’t hanging out playing in the snow you just don’t need much. Start with cheap and minimal.
    If you will be going outside for sports though, buy double layer stadium blankets. Water proof on one side and fuzzy on the other. They make a world of difference for soccer and football games and band shows etc!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast