Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

if you moved to MI like you thought about before, everyone really needs 2 coats. A lighter one like a Patagonia better sweater or north face fleece, and then a real winter coat for being outside when it's cold. Teen girls seem to wear sorel boots. Up to 5th grade or so are in bogs. If you did move here, message me if there's anything I can help with.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, meijer will be your new place to shop and they have decent bibs cheap for sledding and snow play. Plus it's a great grocery store, price wise compares to Walmart without the mess and craziness of Wal-Mart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Like shovels, salt sells out some years. As soon as Costco gets their ice melt salt in (I get the pet safe version), I buy 2 bags (at least). One year was particularly nasty and I wasn’t stocked up. I wound up driving all around for more and having cashiers tell me I was out of luck. I scored a bag of rock salt that you use in water softeners- that was the best I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    A boot tray with a mesh screen so they can drip dry is really helpful. Otherwise we don’t really do much else. Normal day to day doesn’t need much (gear, storage or mud room) in my experience. Shoes really are the main thing for us.
    Unless we have to be outside more than Door to car and back we don’t gear up either (skip the hats, gloves...). Heck, I skip a coat most the time too because I think they are annoying. I just move quickly. So, don’t go crazy buying stuff. See what your peoples tolerance really is and what your lifestyle if. If you aren’t hanging out playing in the snow you just don’t need much. Start with cheap and minimal.

If we're talking about Michigan, I respectfully disagree. Everyone needs good coats, hats and gloves. I think this is especially true for someone coming from a milder climate. People in MI go without coats when it hits about 45 in the spring because it feels so warm. Kids who want to play in the snow need real snow pants and good boots.
    I have found that Costco is one of the best places for all winter gear - the complication being that everyone buys the same Costco gloves so it is hard to figure out which one is yours if they're not well labeled. They have awesome sleds too.

A boot tray with a mesh screen so they can drip dry is really helpful. Otherwise we don’t really do much else. Normal day to day doesn’t need much (gear, storage or mud room) in my experience. Shoes really are the main thing for us.
    Unless we have to be outside more than Door to car and back we don’t gear up either (skip the hats, gloves...). Heck, I skip a coat most the time too because I think they are annoying. I just move quickly. So, don’t go crazy buying stuff. See what your peoples tolerance really is and what your lifestyle if. If you aren’t hanging out playing in the snow you just don’t need much. Start with cheap and minimal.

If we're talking about Michigan, I respectfully disagree. Everyone needs good coats, hats and gloves. I think this is especially true for someone coming from a milder climate. People in MI go without coats when it hits about 45 in the spring because it feels so warm. Kids who want to play in the snow need real snow pants and good boots.
    I have found that Costco is one of the best places for all winter gear - the complication being that everyone buys the same Costco gloves so it is hard to figure out which one is yours if they're not well labeled. They have awesome sleds too.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Wasn’t sure MI was their plan so it does depend on location. But, I just wouldn’t go crazy buying stuff. If it winds up being a mild winter with little snow it’ll be $ wasted to buy a ton of gear. A good coat, good shoes and gloves are all I’d get. None of us but dh wear hats unless we will be sitting outside (even then I never do). I do agree that Costco is a great place for coats, gloves, snow pants and sleds!

Wasn’t sure MI was their plan so it does depend on location. But, I just wouldn’t go crazy buying stuff. If it winds up being a mild winter with little snow it’ll be $ wasted to buy a ton of gear. A good coat, good shoes and gloves are all I’d get. None of us but dh wear hats unless we will be sitting outside (even then I never do). I do agree that Costco is a great place for coats, gloves, snow pants and sleds!

Agree that it depends on the person and their habits. I might run errands with just a fleece or lightweight jacket for most of the winter, but I'll wear a hat sooner than most because I get bad headaches when my ears get cold. I find that wearing a hat and gloves allows me to get by without a bulky jacket if I'm not going to be outside long. But if I'm playing in the snow with the kids, watching ski lessons, or walking outside for more than about 5 minutes I'm going to be wearing a nice warm coat!!

Different people have different tolerances for cold, but they also have different philosophies. Some people, including some of my family members, wear just enough to not feel like they are about to literally freeze to death. I prefer to wear enough to actually be comfortable if I'm doing anything other than running from my car into my office or the grocery store.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Unless OP is moving to somewhere with lots of snow and long stretches of freezing temps every year, I definitely agree with not going crazy until you see what you really need. My favorite story: one of my CCRC neighbors moved here last Fall after decades in FL. She quizzed me about what she would need for winter, starting with "what weight long underwear do you have?" Yep, all the other NC BBBers can now chuckle! (I gently suggested that she start with just the basics, coat and shoes and gloves, and wait to see what if anything else she might want.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Unless OP is moving to somewhere with lots of snow and long stretches of freezing temps every year, I definitely agree with not going crazy until you see what you really need. My favorite story: one of my CCRC neighbors moved here last Fall after decades in FL. She quizzed me about what she would need for winter, starting with "what weight long underwear do you have?" Yep, all the other NC BBBers can now chuckle! (I gently suggested that she start with just the basics, coat and shoes and gloves, and wait to see what if anything else she might want.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Haha!! I'm pretty sure my teen boy wore shorts to school every day last year minus a handful of times. But if I were moving to Michigan, I'd certainly prepare our family better.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd also caution about buying too much ahead, depending on the age of your kids, they might want to get what the local kids are wearing. Some kids want to get what is locally popular which is totally fine, especially when they are new and might want to fit in.

I'm also in the midwest, central IL, and only wear light jackets unless I'm going to be outside a long time, I HATE being hot in the car (never wear a heavy coat when driving) and rarely wear a heavy coat inside a store, but rather leave it in the car. Even when shoveling I get too hot and end up in a sweatshirt. Of course I'm Canadian and grew up in Ottawa so I'm used to long long cold winters, I find it mild here to be honest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast