Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Covid: Is this safe?

We would like to have someone about an 7 hour drive away come stay with us. This person has not been nearly as extreme with their covid precautions as we have. They would get tested and self-isolate until coming to stay with us. They know we are rigid about covid and would happily and respectfully 'do as we do' while staying with us for a few days. I'm leaning towards this being ok. What do you all think?

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're really rigid, I would ask the person to self-isolate for 10 days (I'd maybe be ok with 7 days) after testing (given the rate of false negatives), that way you are almost certain to rule out a symptomatic infection. And...you'd really have to trust that this person would do as agreed. Would they be able to make the 7 hour drive without stops? Or if they must stop (bathroom, food) to be wearing masks and washing hands and not dining indoors? (e.g. takeout only)?

I'd say if you can trust this person, then go for it! I know families who are agreeing to self-isolate for 2 weeks and then getting together for things like birthday celebrations.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My concern would be that it takes time to get results in many places. So, they get tested on day 1 at home. How long does it take to get results? 2, 3, 10 days? Between the time they get tested and when they get to your house will they REALLY be strictly following safety guidelines? What will they be exposed to during the drive when they stop for food, gas, restrooms? If they know how to follow guidelines why arent they bothering?

Case in point, my mother (who lives in S. Florida) still insists she is 'strictly' following guidelines except when she needs to go to dialysis and food shopping. Yet, she often gets takeout, goes to the pharmacy, dollar tree, grocery, to have her hair cut and to my aunt's house. My aunt, she insists goes no where.... except that aunt gets her hair and nails done, goes to yoga and is currently vacationing in GA.

My mother wants me to visit. or to send my kids. My answer is He!! no. I Hate Florida in the summer in a good year. No way am I going now. She offered to come visit. Nope, sorry, thanks for offering.

You have to reflect on it yourself and decide what works for you and your family. What are the risks to your family and your community? What are the benefits of the visit?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If they will truly self-isolate to your comfort level for 10 days, I'd be fine with the visit and not even mess with the COVID test. I think, like PPs have said, the key is to understand if they will truly self-isolate as you expect. I too know a lot of people who will say things like "oh, we've been strictly social distancing" but their interpretation of "strict" is WAY different from mine. I would have a conversation with the person with the specifics of what you're comfortable with and not, and not use terms like "self-isolate". Like, basically giving a list of "we would need you to stay in your home, not invite anyone over, not go to anyone's house or any public places. We're comfortable with you doing curbside pickups if you wear a mask, but not comfortable with you going into stores". Or whatever your comfort level is. And obviously this only applies if it's someone you trust to be completely honest!
    Last edited by Liziz; 08-09-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Case in point, my mother (who lives in S. Florida) still insists she is 'strictly' following guidelines except when she needs to go to dialysis and food shopping. Yet, she often gets takeout, goes to the pharmacy, dollar tree, grocery, to have her hair cut and to my aunt's house. My aunt, she insists goes no where.... except that aunt gets her hair and nails done, goes to yoga and is currently vacationing in GA.
    This made me laugh out loud. So true. I just had this experience with a neighbor who, as I stood 15 feet away from, told me how they've been on total lockdown all summer. Then she goes on to talk about the various (in-person, indoor) summer camps her kid's have attended and so on. I was speechless.

Thanks for the responses. Your thoughts are inline with mine. However, given the circumstances, we will likely move forward with this visit. I trust the visitor will isolate until getting test results, which as we all know, could end up being some time. I will reiterate my concerns to them. Do I feel 100% on this? Nope. Maybe with a little luck it will sort itself out.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

If it is someone you want to see I think it would be worth it and it certainly sounds like they are willing to make it as safe as possible. I think we are going to be living with this for a while- a year or more. I am unwilling to completely stop seeing the people I care about for that long- just have them do their best.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There are worse things you could do, there are better things you could do. It’s a personal choice. I hope you have a good visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    There are worse things you could do, there are better things you could do. It’s a personal choice. I hope you have a good visit.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I can hear Rizzo (in Grease) singing those words.....
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. So true. I just had this experience with a neighbor who, as I stood 15 feet away from, told me how they've been on total lockdown all summer. Then she goes on to talk about the various (in-person, indoor) summer camps her kid's have attended and so on. I was speechless.

Thanks for the responses. Your thoughts are inline with mine. However, given the circumstances, we will likely move forward with this visit. I trust the visitor will isolate until getting test results, which as we all know, could end up being some time. I will reiterate my concerns to them. Do I feel 100% on this? Nope. Maybe with a little luck it will sort itself out.
    This is how I feel about almost everything these days!!! My kids' bestie is MOVING this summer (worst time EVER to move) so we have been really struggling with their need/want to be able to see her in person before she moves. I've let them do a couple of afternoon outdoor swim playdates, reminding them to keep distance as best as possible (really, I just want them to not shout in each others' faces). Their family is isolating "better" than most (parents are both HCPs), but not as "good "as us. For examples, we know that bestie has been on other indoor playdates. I believe they have been quite limited, but still. Do I feel 100% good about it? Nope. Maybe with a little luck it will sort itself out.

Have a great visit with your friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    If they will truly self-isolate to your comfort level for 10 days, I'd be fine with the visit and not even mess with the COVID test. I think, like PPs have said, the key is to understand if they will truly self-isolate as you expect. I too know a lot of people who will say things like "oh, we've been strictly social distancing" but their interpretation of "strict" is WAY different from mine. I would have a conversation with the person with the specifics of what you're comfortable with and not, and not use terms like "self-isolate". Like, basically giving a list of "we would need you to stay in your home, not invite anyone over, not go to anyone's house or any public places. We're comfortable with you doing curbside pickups if you wear a mask, but not comfortable with you going into stores". Or whatever your comfort level is. And obviously this only applies if it's someone you trust to be completely honest!
    Honestly, please be specific. Because I do much of this under the guidelines of my state (shopping in stores with masks, picking up food, etc.). For a seven-hour drive, I wouldn't think twice about stopping to use the restroom.

Everyone's comfort level is different (and every state's guidance is different), so it's best to lay it all out on the table.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast