Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So they estimated $2363 - $3927 total if she spends the night, depending on how long (24-48 hrs)!!! If she spent the night they'd do an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow also. That's basically for overnight care while she gets IV fluids!!!

So DH had me pull her out. They only charged us the $890 and sent her home with antibiotics, an appetite stimulant, and push of fluids. We'll get the labs sent to her regular vet who we'll see tomorrow (I have a message to them to possibly see her before her 2pm appt) and get the urine test done then and IV fluids there for hopefully way cheaper. We picked her up at 9pm and she already looks much better. Her eyes are bright again and she drank a bunch of water when we got home and she's walking around. Her regular vet opens in 10.5 hours so I think she'll be fine till then.

I'll update tomorrow.
    Last edited by essnce629; 08-10-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Need BBB mojo for my cat!

Hope she’s better by the morning. Emergency Vet is expensive. During our remodel our dog peed multiple times and was acting funny. We thought maybe UTI, several hundred dollars later, he was fine and nothing wrong on labs. We then found the packet of spicy salami he had eaten. Most expensive salami ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our cat ate a bunch of what looked like shoe laces. They weren't able to do a removal via the esophagus and we had to have emergency surgery to the tune of about $5,000. I'm so glad it wasn't that.

Did they give your cat the fluid bubble where they inject fluids under the skin? Hoping she even better this morning.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Glad it was not an obstruction! I will check for your updates. Best wishes to your kitty.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thinking about your kitty this morning!

Hope your kitty is okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Any update ?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So we took her to her regular vet today and the first thing they asked is if the emergency vet tested her for pancreatitis or mentioned it. Nope, they didn't! Regular vet did the pancreatitis blood test and it came back positive! So that's what she has and pancreatitis causes nausea, vomiting, weight loss, dehydration, and inflammation of the pancreas. It's more common in older cats (she's considered senior now at almost 11!) and is most likely due to her food change while we were on our trip (dry food when she normally only eats wet). At the vet today she got another push of fluids, a shot of steroids, and more anti nausea meds since she still hadn't eaten since Friday. They are having me bring her back first thing Tues morning to do IV fluids all day and possibly Wed as well depending on how she responds tomorrow. Regular vet is only charging $200 for the whole day of IV fluids vs the $2-3k the emergency vet wanted to charge us to keep her overnight for fluids!!! The emergency vet also never sent over her blood work or radiology results even though I confirmed multiple times with them that they would!!! I ended up having to call them while I sat at the regular vet to get them to email everything over!

After today's appointment she finally started eating and meowing again! She's been walking around all day and wanting to go outside. Once she gets fully hydrated with the IV fluids I'm hoping she'll be back to her normal self. Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Glad your kitty is feeling better but it's be pissed about the emergency vet! Sounds like they were pretty incompetent.

For future trips, you might look into getting an automatic feeder like this Cat Mate one we have, so you can keep feeding only the wet food: https://www.chewy.com/cat-mate-c20-2...-pet/dp/103147

It has ice packs and we store the wet food in the fridge so my FIL only has to come once a day in the morning to feed the cats, he gives them their morning meal on paper plates then cleans and sets up the Cat Mate with the cold food and ice packs to open 12 hours later. I do have extra ice packs for it. My cats usually eat 3 times a day but they adapt fine to eating their normal amount of food split into 2 feedings instead when we are out of town.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had a cat with pancreatitis. Glad the vet figured it out and she is feeling better! Sending fast healing vibes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast