Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I bought this one. Like I said, we haven't put it together yet. But it has fairly good reviews.

https://www.target.com/p/adjustable-...-/-/A-54364953
    Do you know if the shelves can be put in either side of the desk?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For IEPs, please send requests in writing! I learned the hard way that no timelines for requiring things to get done start until requests are received in writing. Even if it's going to be late, you want to be on the record and in the front part of the line.

As far as set-up, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is trays. We have both a lap desk and a "C" style table that can go on the side of the bed or couch or recliner or ???? We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that isn't available anymore, but you get the idea. We love it.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    For IEPs, please send requests in writing! I learned the hard way that no timelines for requiring things to get done start until requests are received in writing. Even if it's going to be late, you want to be on the record and in the front part of the line.

It's part of the law here; if you want a change, you have to mail a freaking letter to Student Services. I emailed and attached a PDF and will mail the letter and any amendments to Student Services and my kid's elementary school following our meeting on Monday.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Not to get too far off topic, but I finally talked to the counselor at my school last week. DS needs an evaluation for an IEP. She said that as of now, they can't do any interventions until October. I don't know if that's new evals/interventions or interventions period. In the meanwhile, once schools starts, the team has to assess every student to see where they stand since school closed in March. She did say that once she finds out who DS' fifth grade teacher is, she will let her know about the academic concerns. The teacher can make some modifications in advance of the official evaluation.
    What do the special ed statutes in your state say? October is outside their time to act here in NJ. I appreciate that no school buildings are available at this time, but if they can deliver the interventions via teletherapy, they should be able to figure out evals remotely as well.

Do you have a private eval/diagnosis? The school can start with that to determine services.

Even if your state statutes suck, IDEA protects your child's right to a free and appropriate public education at the Federal level. If they're putting you off, again, check your state statutes for the time they need to respond.

And get EVERYTHING in writing. EVERY. THING. If you have to, include emails from your DS's teacher last year, especially if they are about behavioral or academic gaps/challenges that need to be accounted for in an IEP or 504, depending on the degree of impairment. Learn the state statutes. Get an advocate if you can.
    Did I mention that school starts Monday and we still don't know who is teacher is? The drive-through open house planned for this evening has been canceled due to threat of bad weather. *stares at blue, sunny skies outside my window*...
    Yeah, we won't learn who DD's homebase teacher is for another couple of weeks, but we don't start until after Labor Day.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Do you know if the shelves can be put in either side of the desk?
    One of the reviews said you can't. And you can't flip the desk around because of the bar on the back legs. It would block the opening for the chair. Although, if the bar is something that is attached during assembly, I'm not sure why you couldn't put the shelves on the side you prefer. I'll find out tomorrow or Saturday.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    What do the special ed statutes in your state say? October is outside their time to act here in NJ. I appreciate that no school buildings are available at this time, but if they can deliver the interventions via teletherapy, they should be able to figure out evals remotely as well.

Do you have a private eval/diagnosis? The school can start with that to determine services.

Even if your state statutes suck, IDEA protects your child's right to a free and appropriate public education at the Federal level. If they're putting you off, again, check your state statutes for the time they need to respond.

And get EVERYTHING in writing. EVERY. THING. If you have to, include emails from your DS's teacher last year, especially if they are about behavioral or academic gaps/challenges that need to be accounted for in an IEP or 504, depending on the degree of impairment. Learn the state statutes. Get an advocate if you can.

Yeah, we won't learn who DD's homebase teacher is for another couple of weeks, but we don't start until after Labor Day.
    I sent you a PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Online learning: is your setup working?

Just a word on evaluations. All standardized tests must be given in the same set-up as the test was developed in to provide a standardized score. Some stares require that standardized testing for eligibility for special education services. Giving a test virtually that was developed for in person setting may change those variables and negate the standardization, and scores can’t be provided. Many test developers are looking at their tests to see if they can be used virtually and how that virtual set-up is to be. Some districts are not doing evaluations virtually for this reason. Some districts are doing in-person testing. Other districts aren’t doing any testing right now - can’t do in-person as it’s too dangerous and can’t say virtual administration of a test is fine to use.

It’s a mess. People like me who administer tests are waiting on further guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-13-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Just a word on evaluations. All standardized tests must be given in the same set-up as the test was developed in to provide a standardized score. Some stares require that standardized testing for eligibility for special education services. Giving a test virtually that was developed for in person setting may change those variables and negate the standardization, and scores can’t be provided. Many test developers are looking at their tests to see if they can be used virtually and how that virtual set-up is to be. Some districts are not doing evaluations virtually for this reason. Some districts are doing in-person testing. Other districts aren’t doing any testing right now - can’t do in-person as it’s too dangerous and can’t say virtual administration of a test is fine to use.

It’s a mess. People like me who administer tests are waiting on further guidance
    Thanks Nicci; I appreciate your insight. When I'm on the warpath, I usually don't stop long enough to consider how it's impacting the Child-Study Team and associated professionals like yourself.

I'll have to tell the school that I'd be up for DD to have an eval, with masks, in an outdoor setting on the school grounds, but she is not stepping foot inside a building.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 3 work in different rooms—kitchen table, dining room table, craft table. They have their own supply boxes and bins of books, a crate type container filled with books and notebooks.
    K

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Online learning: is your setup working?

Thanks Nicci; I appreciate your insight. When I'm on the warpath, I usually don't stop long enough to consider how it's impacting the Child-Study Team and associated professionals like yourself.

I'll have to tell the school that I'd be up for DD to have an eval, with masks, in an outdoor setting on the school grounds, but she is not stepping foot inside a building.
    Every district is making different decisions depending on their state Ed Code and their lawyers interpretation of how the laws will be applied to the current situation.

My district has put all evaluations on hold. No in person, no virtual, nothing happening right now. I know my department is trying to figure out how to ethically and legally do evaluations virtually. A nearby district is doing in-person evaluations, but their numbers are lower. My school is situated in a hotspot for the county. It’s all very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast