Default Reading Log App Recommendations

Hi everyone. I am currently using the Goodreads app for recording the books that my 5 year old has been reading since we started homeschooling kindergarten on Monday.

Pros of the Goodreads app
    -scanning feature
    -date you read the book feature
    -recommendations based on people who have read that book

Missing from the Goodreads app
    -personal notes from the books. My son likes to tell me what he thinks about the book and I would like a place to record his thoughts.
    -ability to print a list at the end of the year. I know it’s not required, but I would like to see it for myself. Prior to homeschooling, I never kept a list. It would be nice to see a list at the end of the year.
    -ability to have a separate list for myself and not have to create a complete new account

I was just wondering if anyone has any other reading log app recommendations. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rollycolly2007 View Post

Missing from the Goodreads app
    -personal notes from the books. My son likes to tell me what he thinks about the book and I would like a place to record his thoughts.
    -ability to print a list at the end of the year. I know it’s not required, but I would like to see it for myself. Prior to homeschooling, I never kept a list. It would be nice to see a list at the end of the year.
    -ability to have a separate list for myself and not have to create a complete new account

I was just wondering if anyone has any other reading log app recommendations. Thank you.
    In GoodReads, they have both a review section where you could record your DS's thoughts and you can create tags as well as different shelves.

So, I have a Goodreads acc't and have tagged all of the books I've read since March as "pandemic-reads."

For your purposes, you may want to create a new shelf called "DS's books" and tag his books "kindergarten reads" or something like that so you can track them later.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    In GoodReads, they have both a review section where you could record your DS's thoughts and you can create tags as well as different shelves.

So, I have a Goodreads acc't and have tagged all of the books I've read since March as "pandemic-reads."

For your purposes, you may want to create a new shelf called "DS's books" and tag his books "kindergarten reads" or something like that so you can track them later.
    Thank you. I will look into your suggestions for Goodreads. I was able to create a section just for DS Kindergarten Reading Log.

I just thought that the reviews are public. I was hoping there might be an another app that had everything that goodreads does well plus a notes section that’s private.

DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can I suggest no reading logs? Our schools stopped doing them. They were unnecessary busy work that sucked the joy of reading out of a lot of kids! Mine included. ETA- ours were used to log daily minutes which was the thing we all hated most. A quick list of books read with maybe a quick review is different than what most of us probably know reading logs to be.

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 08-13-2020 at 03:35 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rollycolly2007 View Post
    Thank you. I will look into your suggestions for Goodreads. I was able to create a section just for DS Kindergarten Reading Log.

I just thought that the reviews are public. I was hoping there might be an another app that had everything that goodreads does well plus a notes section that’s private.
    If you go to your account's privacy settings, you can make reviews - and your account overall - more private.

I have my account fairly public at the moment, but I'm not logging DD's books.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can I suggest no reading logs? Our schools stopped doing them. They were unnecessary busy work that sucked the joy of reading out of a lot of kids! Mine included. ETA- ours were used to log daily minutes which was the thing we all hated most. A quick list of books read with maybe a quick review is different than what most of us probably know reading logs to be.

We are homeschooling. I just want something that I can scan the isbn number on the back of the book and have a list with some thoughts from my son. He always has something interesting to say, so I just want to be able to jot it down.

My 5 year old does not read yet. No rush. He knows his letter sounds. He just really enjoys books since I have been reading to him since he was a baby.

At the end of the year, we can see all the books we have read. It’s not a traditional reading log that is used in public schools.

Last edited by rollycolly2007; 08-13-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If you go to your account's privacy settings, you can make reviews - and your account overall - more private.

I have my account fairly public at the moment, but I'm not logging DD's books.
    Thank you. I already selected all of the settings that make it private.

Goodreads stated “Your reviews are always public and will appear on book pages regardless of privacy setting.”

I love everything about the Goodreads app except not having a private notes function.

DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

I found Book Buddy. I can scan the books using the isbn, I can add the date I read the book to him, and add his thoughts from the book. It’s just a fun way to have a place of all the books we read throughout the year.

Thanks everyone for your help.

DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016