Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your private school is taking all of the precautions with very small class sizes. I would send them and see your mom outside and at a distance for now if at all possible. I’m guessing she is in your town?
    K

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d do remote. Out here we are allowed to open schools if the positivity rate is 8%, so 5.6% sounds pretty good. After seeing what is going on in Georgia, I’m thinking in person schooling right now is not the best idea, but I’ve been pretty vocal about that for a long time. Georgia is just a real life example of what I’ve been saying for months.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Out here we are allowed to open schools if the positivity rate is 8%, so 5.6% sounds pretty good. After seeing what is going on in Georgia, I’m thinking in person schooling right now is not the best idea, but I’ve been pretty vocal about that for a long time. Georgia is just a real life example of what I’ve been saying for months.
    We are? I thought it had to be under 5% positivity rate? LA's was just under 10% last month, but now it's down to 7% and I've heard of no schools opening in person.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    We are? I thought it had to be under 5% positivity rate? LA's was just under 10% last month, but now it's down to 7% and I've heard of no schools opening in person.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    That is just one factor. The state says positivity rate under 8% plus less than 100/100,000 cases. That is where we are way off. I think we are around 300/100,000 cases. Plus we have to be off the watch list for 14 days. There also needs to be faster test turn around and better contract tracing which is also where we are not meeting the threshold for opening.

The CDC says 5% positivity rate should be the guideline for going back to school so I’m not sure why the state set the standard at a higher rate.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What does your county's info look like? Is it higher or lower than the state in general? I'm in NC and not in one of the "big" counties, but early on our county had a higher death rate than average. Right now, our numbers are pretty low though, especially compared to the state as a whole. If we were given the option, I'd send my kids based on what I'm seeing right now. If I were in one of the counties with much larger spikes, though, I wouldn't.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would send them to school and distance from your mother and have outside visits unless you need her for childcare. If you rely on your mother for childcare then I would keep kids home. My way of thinking is to take advantage of what you can do now because you never know when it will change again. If you keep them home now then maybe school will close later and they will have missed their chance to be in school. This is just the way my family has been operating... take advantage of the things we can do (that we feel are safe) knowing that it could change at any moment.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My county is 24/100,000 and 78 daily cases average. KY did really well at first and until July we generally had 150 - 250 total cases per day in the whole state. Then it really ramped up in July (right after 4th of July and bars reopening) and the past 5 weeks it's been 500 -1000 cases per day. Right when the increase started we got a mask mandate and then 2 weeks later bars where shut down and restaurants went to 25% capacity indoors. That has just been lifted to 50% capacity restaurants and bars reopened, both with a 10pm closing time, although cases have just plateaued at these much higher numbers rather than dropping. Our highest case number ever was Wednesday and we had over 700 yesterday. 39 cases yesterday were under 5 yrs old.

A worry I have about school is a lot of these parents still vacation in hotspots or travel regularly for work. The vacations should calm down with school in session, but the work travel won't.

KY also has had several hospitalized children due to the Kawasaki like syndrome including a 10 yr old that needed a ventilator in May. So about 2 months after schools closed....lots of child cases (in the daily PC the governor holds he announces how many kids are positive) in July so is this syndrome going to come back in September?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post

A worry I have about school is a lot of these parents still vacation in hotspots or travel regularly for work. The vacations should calm down with school in session, but the work travel won't.

KY also has had several hospitalized children due to the Kawasaki like syndrome including a 10 yr old that needed a ventilator in May. So about 2 months after schools closed....lots of child cases (in the daily PC the governor holds he announces how many kids are positive) in July so is this syndrome going to come back in September?
    I don't know the answer to your last question, but I don't know if anyone does. Although it does sound like your school is making every effort to be safe, I would do remote. I would not take the risk.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Your private school is taking all of the precautions with very small class sizes. I would send them and see your mom outside and at a distance for now if at all possible. I’m guessing she is in your town?
    I’d do this as well given the scope of precautions at school. Kids as young as yours get very little out of remote learning.

Our school is taking similar precautions and I plan on sending them when they open for in person )currently scheduled for mid.September).

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    My county is 24/100,000 and 78 daily cases average. KY did really well at first and until July we generally had 150 - 250 total cases per day in the whole state. Then it really ramped up in July (right after 4th of July and bars reopening) and the past 5 weeks it's been 500 -1000 cases per day. Right when the increase started we got a mask mandate and then 2 weeks later bars where shut down and restaurants went to 25% capacity indoors. That has just been lifted to 50% capacity restaurants and bars reopened, both with a 10pm closing time, although cases have just plateaued at these much higher numbers rather than dropping. Our highest case number ever was Wednesday and we had over 700 yesterday. 39 cases yesterday were under 5 yrs old.

There is a proven effective treatment for the Kawasaki like syndrome, they actually developed that quite quickly, several months ago.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast