Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Possible Vaccine Reaction??

Yesterday my 12 yr old woke up with a 102 fever. Of course my first thought goes to covid. The ONLY place he has gone is to school, as we are extremely cautious due to my younger son's health issues. He had his second dose of the vaccine about 10 days ago, so technically not fully vaxed. Is there any chance his fever could be a result of of a delayed reaction?? I think it is too late for that, but several of my co-workers have mentioned it as a possibility. I googled myocarditis, and his symptoms don't match that. He really has no other symptoms other than being tired and having a headache (which make sense with a fever). No congestion or anything else. The at home binax test was negative, and we all went for PCR testing this morning. He and my younger son are home until we get results back. My husband and I are allowed to go to work since we are vaccinated. However, I do not feel comfortable being in a room of 24 unvaccinated 6 yr olds, so my principal supported my decision in staying home until we know for sure.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It does not seem plausible that it is a vaccine reaction (and I do believe in vaccine reactions; my dd may have had one to the HPV vaccine). I don't think it makes sense that something like a fever would be that delayed. Does your pediatrician have an advice nurse? I always feel that if I am concerned that is a good place to call. Hope he feels better soon.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely check with your doctor. I'm glad you checked out the myocarditis. Treatment is supposed to be effective if it is caught! I don't know about a delayed reaction. That certainly doesn't sound like what I've heard but I'm far from an expert! I'm glad you can be home with the kids. Let us know what you discover!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 14 yr. old DD1 had a high fever, chills, and headache week and a half after her second dose. She actually said it felt very similar as to how she felt after her vaccine. I took her to urgent care and they weren’t even concerned about it being related to her vax or being Covid. They thought it may have been a sinus infection, or strep. Gave her antibiotics and she started feeling better the next day. We had just gotten back from a beach vacation, but had done all outdoor activities or wore masks if we went inside stores, but I’m guessing she picked up something on our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It seems too far removed from his second dose. It is likely "just another virus." Sorry he is feeling bad.
    K

The doctor's office said wait until the covid test comes back before proceeding. They didn't seem too worried about it being anything else. His temp is down to 99 today and he is bothering his brother, so definitely an improvement over yesterday. He had no reaction after his second vaccine. I really don't think it is vaccine related, but since several co workers mentioned it, I thought I would ask here.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There is a wicked cold or flu going around. Has he had a loss of taste and increased headaches without sinus pressure or runny nose? Maybe I am naive but I am thinking if and when I get sick this season the taste thing will be what I really look at for whether or not I truly have COVID symptoms.

I would think a reaction would’ve happened within 48 hrs. of getting the second vaccine.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My friend’s 13 yo had a myocarditis/pericarditis reaction to the second dose…I think he got the second dose on Monday(maybe Tues) and was in the hospital on Friday. His reaction was 3-4 days delayed, but 10 sounds like a lot.

Keep us posted on how he is!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Maybe I am naive but I am thinking if and when I get sick this season the taste thing will be what I really look at for whether or not I truly have COVID symptoms.
    I wouldn't rely on this alone to determine whether or not you may have Covid or whether you should test. No one I know personally who has had Covid has lost their taste or smell. Studies show that less than half of people with Covid actually experience this symptom. Some people actually only experience GI issues, like diarrhea. Basically, I'd test for any symptom out of the ordinary.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    There is a wicked cold or flu going around. Has he had a loss of taste and increased headaches without sinus pressure or runny nose? Maybe I am naive but I am thinking if and when I get sick this season the taste thing will be what I really look at for whether or not I truly have COVID symptoms.

I would think a reaction would’ve happened within 48 hrs. of getting the second vaccine.

At one point yesterday he said juice tasted weird which made me panic a bit, but he said everything else tasted okay. He can smell and taste. I've heard that isn't as good of an indication in kids. But he has no congestion of any kind. No runny nose, no cough, no stuffy nose, etc. One of my students' families just went through covid, and she said in her teens, it was just a fever for a few days, and her younger son had a mild cold but no fever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast