Thread: Stupid light!

Default Stupid light!

Our next-door neighbor has installed a second-story security light on the side of their house that now completely lights up my backyard. Think the harsh white light that’s in a Walmart parking lot at night. Our houses are fairly close together and our yards aren’t huge, so there is no place in my yard that isn't illuminated at least some. It’s driving me crazy because I miss my darkish backyard.

However, I can’t even say anything. Some of you might remember last year I posted about some neighbors who have threatened to sue us because rainwater was going into their yard and flooding their house. These are them. DH went to the city to ask what our responsibility was and found out that we didn’t have any. i’m not even sure what they wanted us to do besides dig up our yard. They accepted this response and started in on a project of tearing up the backyard and adding drains and then adding this addition. Back in the spring, the city water department came out and we found out the source of all the excess water. Apparently there’s an underground spring that originates at the house behind ours and up the hill. So when it rain, the spring overflows and comes to the surface, leaves that yard, cuts through our neighbor’s yard to the left, comes through our yard and then ends in their yard. So I’m not really sure who the responsibility lies with as far as that goes.

But the end result is our relationship with these neighbors has been lukewarm ever since. DH says he’s not going over to say anything to them only to get cursed out. Lol So i’m just sitting here stewing and staring at this bright light every night. And ranting here. If there’s a silver lining, our bedrooms are on the other side of the house. So while the light comes through our living room and kitchen windows, it doesn’t disturb our sleep.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Uuugh! That would really bother me too! I do remember that whole water issue though and am glad that it worked out and there was no lawsuit, etc. - although it sucks that relationship with the neighbor has suffered. I'll hope the light burns out quickly and they're too lazy to replace it!
    Lizi

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wonder if there are any pesky neighborhood kids with a bb gun ????

I know it's the BP but, Seriously though, I wonder if other neighbors are bothered by it, our neighbors put one up and it shines into our yard/back of our house/into DD's room even with the blinds down, and we mentioned to them and they tilted it downwards and lowed the wattage (they use it to see where their dogs go out in the yard at night, so it doesn't need to be shining way over to our house). We are lucky to have a good relationship though (they even put their hose over the fence to help us fill up our pool). Maybe coming from another neighbor it would help.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t have any advice, but here is a humorous take on a security light/neighbor situation: http://www.27bslash6.com/halogen.html
    DS 2/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We sold our house to a friend. She went over to introduce herself to her new neighbors. She texted me afterwards to say the only thing the neighbor (who was very friendly to me!) said was to please turn off the new exterior light she bought because it was shining into her room. Not the best start.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have a two story house? Could you do a similar light? Maybe it wouldn't bother them but if it did, then you could both agree to have smaller lights.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you happen to have an old mirror you could just lay in the yard for a bit?

I happen to have the same problem. In fact, when I walk in my yard, despite the 6ft privacy fence, it turns on the neighbor's motion lights. But, I actually welcome it b/c it lights up my yard for the dogs.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post

Maybe coming from another neighbor it would help.

My other neighbor and I talked about it a couple of weeks ago. She has a one-story house that is longer than ours. The light comes across our yard and hits the side of hers directly. Her bedroom and bathroom aren't dead center, but she says she gets enough of the glare that she now has to make sure her blinds are closed very tightly. She's pretty friendly with them, so she was given a tour when they recently finished construction. She mentioned something about the light and the guy said he put it up because the wife sometimes come home late. (Even though they are apparently married, he doesn't actually live at the house. That's a whole 'nother story.) My neighbor said she felt awkward about saying anything else, but wishes she had. I totally get it. Even if we didn't have our past history, it does feel awkward to bring up. She did say that if it comes up in conversation again, she would say something more.

Smillow, I saw that exchange when I was googling for advice. lol

I thought about installing out own light and pointing it that way, but I thought it might be petty. But I might be OK with being petty in the next few weeks.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds like they just need to adjust the light or switch out a bulb from a flood light to a spot light. I would just nicely ask... I think in person is best. Just pretend other stuff hasn’t happened and ask. There’s nothing to lose since relationship is already strained.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post

I know it's the BP but, Seriously though, I wonder if other neighbors are bothered by it, our neighbors put one up and it shines into our yard/back of our house/into DD's room even with the blinds down, and we mentioned to them and they tilted it downwards and lowed the wattage (they use it to see where their dogs go out in the yard at night, so it doesn't need to be shining way over to our house). We are lucky to have a good relationship though (they even put their hose over the fence to help us fill up our pool). Maybe coming from another neighbor it would help.
    We were the neighbors with the new light. Our neighbor came over and spoke to my DH, and we solved it the exact same way. Our neighbors then sent over homemade jam. I'm sorry your relationship with your neighbors isn't in a good place, OP.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!