Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Wet it and forget it or any other moss treatment that works before power washing?

I have posted about this in past years. I have a longish asphalt driveway that gets a lot of moss during the winter. There is no way to make it less shady, which I know is the problem. This year, it seemed to get especially mossy. In the past, I either paid someone to power (pressure?) wash it or I did have one friend who just volunteered to do it for me last year. As I said, this year it is worse, and it was so expensive to get done when it was not bad as far as the moss. My friend cannot do it for me and does not have her power washer anymore. Another friend offered to lend me her electric power washer, and today the kids and I tried it out. Ugh, we can make some progress on some areas, but others not so much. I read different things regarding if detergent and other things work as far as pre-treatment. What about wet it and forget it or moss-b-gone? Baking soda or soda chrystals (not even sure what that it is, but it comes up when I google) Any experience with these things?

***I know bleach and water is supposed to be very effective, but I just cannot do bleach (I get sick, as does my daughter).

Any suggestions or experience?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have used the wet & forget on our roof and it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We have used the wet & forget on our roof and it worked well.
    Ooh, glad to hear that! do you have any idea how long it took before it killed the moss? I have read everything from a day to a couple of months.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We use tide powder detergent with a little bleach for our siding

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I buy baking soda at Costco for moss, on many different surfaces in my yard, including in the lawn. Only issue I’ve had, is it took away some of the color from bricks bordering my aggregate patio.

The thicker the moss, the thicker I put the baking soda on. We get a dark crud layer on our shady and moist patio, baking soda cleans that as well, but doesn’t need as much as the moss.

It is most effective to do it when there’s no moisture in the weather forecast. When I’m spreading it over large areas, I like to use a fine mesh sieve. On small areas, I will just sprinkle it from my hand.

I used to use wet and forget, but it was more work for me, so I’ve changed to baking soda.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I buy baking soda at Costco for moss, on many different surfaces in my yard, including in the lawn. Only issue I’ve had, is it took away some of the color from bricks bordering my aggregate patio.

The thicker the moss, the thicker I put the baking soda on. We get a dark crud layer on our shady and moist patio, baking soda cleans that as well, but doesn’t need as much as the moss.

It is most effective to do it when there’s no moisture in the weather forecast. When I’m spreading it over large areas, I like to use a fine mesh sieve. On small areas, I will just sprinkle it from my hand.

I used to use wet and forget, but it was more work for me, so I’ve changed to baking soda.

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post

Can you say a little more about using a fine mesh sieve to apply over larger areas? I am not able to picture that.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Ooh, glad to hear that! do you have any idea how long it took before it killed the moss? I have read everything from a day to a couple of months.
    We applied twice about 10 days apart. Took another week or so for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    We applied twice about 10 days apart. Took another week or so for it to work.

Thank so much everyone. I have a plan of attack! Hopefully, it works!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast