smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Are there any beach areas in mainland US that are actually warm at Christmas?

Covid is creating all sorts of pains but also opening up some options we don't normally have.

DS1 normally plays high level travel hockey, but he's not this year, he's just playing varsity for his high school. He's disappointed, but we made reservations for Thanksgiving for a ski in/out condo (so we can avoid lunches and apres ski and just be safe...everything I've read is that the actual skiing and lifts are safe, but the cafeterias and apres ski stuff is super risky). That cheered him up for the lost year.

So, DH's family is in Canada and likely won't be able to see us at Christmas like usual. My family is local. Without the travel hockey, we could potentially rent a house on the beach and have another socially distanced family trip...something we can never do.

But is anyplace actually warm enough to get in the water? We aren't wanting to take a commercial flight anywhere, but we have a company plane so anywhere in the continental US is doable. Might not matter as maybe we'll just get away and enjoy the scenery...
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Southern FL Gulf Coast. Take a look at Sanibel to start

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree, go as far south on the Gulf Side of Florida, ocean will be very chilly though, I mean I've been in March and the water is cool and I'm Canadian and used to cold water. It's fine for playing in the shallow water and pools will be heated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Piling on - but southern Florida, especially the gulf side. We go to Naples. Most years it's 'cold but doesn't keep DD out'.

Be aware that the beaches may still be 'resident only parking' and/or crowded though. Might want to try to book a hotel with private beach access if possible - it will be less crowded and you'll be guaranteed access.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I will just add that California is NOT warm and tropical in December (unless there's a rare warm spell).