Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default First day of school program and IT HELL

I am in software and know my way around logins and passwords and PCs etc. So far it has been a mess. Each kid has no joke at least 4 systems (so do parents) they need to log into and manage. DS1 has the same classes at the same time every single day -- easy. DS2 on the other hand (who is less self sufficient) has even and odd days, mon/ths are the same, tue/fri are the same but different from mon/ths, and wed is different too. On odd days he has classes 1, 3, 5, 7, and on even days he has 2, 4, 6, 8 but there is no sheet of paper that says the classes he has on a single day -- you have to piece it together. Today is the 2nd of September but it is in fact an odd day. I am SO OVER this. Poor kid.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sorry, but I'm right there in hell with you! DS1 is fine, his high school has a good plan and it all makes sense (when the platform doesn't crash). But DS2's elementary (he's in 6th) cobbled together this remote plan and it's horrible. They only get 2-2.5 hours of actual teaching per day, and it's on zoom which crashes or has other difficulties constantly. The rest is "independent" learning through 4 different systems. Meaning I'm teaching/supervising/ managing/ phycologist to calm the emotional frustrating storm all while I'm trying to do my job (which also just happens to be extremely busy right now). Thank goodness it's public school because I'd be really REALLY angry if I were paying for this nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have heard of a lot of systems like that. DS1's schedule is SOOO complicated too. He has morning "reinforcing activities" and afternoon zoom meetings (because he's in cohort B). He has 3 classes per semester (block) except he doesn't because he has all AP/IB classes so he actually has 5 including an open period. They're not labeled 1, 2, and 3 because in a regular semester 1st period classes are actually like 0 period. So his day schedule cycles 2a and 3a. Then 4 and 2b. Then 3b and 4. So I guess it cycles every 3 days? Remember, they're meeting for each class twice a day--sort of. Also, Wednesdays they don't do cohorts and have a shortened schedule. DS1 is managing it which is good because I'm lost every day.

My younger kids had a flawless first day of classes. The two elementary kids stayed on zoom for most of the morning with lots of working breaks. My middle schooler was able to log into 4 different classes without too much strain. (This is all at the same charter school) This reminds me that it can be done. It has been MUCH less seamless for DS1. Hang in there. We've been at it for 11 days now (but who is counting? Only 169 to go!) but it is getting better!

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I teach college, full to tech issues. half won't turn on camera, a small percent are using it to show off their boobs. I am SOOOO done and it has been 3 days.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    a small percent are using it to show off their boobs. I am SOOOO done and it has been 3 days.
    Lol! Sorry, not funny, but also very funny! I was startled yesterday during a work meeting on MS Teams when a coworker took off his shirt during the meeting! He immediately realized his camera was still on and turned it off. His shirt was back on when he had to speak and turned the camera back on. I don't know how many others noticed, but I was the only woman in the meeting and the guys are pretty clueless!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Whoa! These zoom threads are crazy! I'm waiting for the buzzfeed thread of all the extreme things people see on their zoom meetings. I've never seen anything remotely scandalous, lol!

DD said a kid in her health class dialed in Taco Bell and suddenly everyone heard “welcome to Taco Bell, what can I get you today?” DD said the teacher was so confused but all the kids were dying of laughter. It’s so horrible kids would do that, but I’ll admit I laughed when she told me about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 6th grade has even and odd days, but Tues and Thurs and odd days (1,3,5), and Wed and Fri are even days (2,4,6). Monday is check in day so they go to every class for w0 minutes. He is on zoom from 9-2:15, but gets a 30 minute lunch. After he gets done zooming every day, he has at least another 3 hours of homework to complete. It’s a crazy amount of work, but fairly organized. My younger son zooms from 9-12, and then has a few hours of homework, which he doesn’t do until later on when I can help him.

My students have no problem being on zoom and are more than glad to be on camera and talk on zoom. I’ve met all of their pets, baby siblings, toys, etc and it’s only been 12 days.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Whoa! These zoom threads are crazy! I'm waiting for the buzzfeed thread of all the extreme things people see on their zoom meetings. I've never seen anything remotely scandalous, lol!

I know! During a Zoom school meeting with the superintendent recently, he said he had disabled the chat feature because during another meeting that he was in, there was a couple discussing in the chat box what to order for dinner! Totally weird because why couldn't the couple just discuss it privately over their own text?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I know! During a Zoom school meeting with the superintendent recently, he said he had disabled the chat feature because during another meeting that he was in, there was a couple discussing in the chat box what to order for dinner! Totally weird because why couldn't the couple just discuss it privately over their own text?
    Omg, that's hilarious!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast