Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default If your teenager was put in unsafe covid situation (help!)

So DD started high school swim last month. She has swam competitively since she was 8, and her USA club swim team has been having socially distanced, safe swim practices since early June. They have also completed in two meets last month that seemed very safe. Her high school swim practices seem decently safe. Not as good as her club team, but safe enough. Last night was her first high school meet, and it was very unsafe. The meet was live-streamed, so I could see what was going on. Kids crowding behind the blocks (without masks), relays, kids cheering (some without masks), and only about 1/2 the kids in the stands wearing masks, most of whom were not social distancing. . DD and her best friend felt very unsafe. Her friend said she tried to hold her breath when she was near other kids without masks. The safety protocols were not anywhere near those of the other two meets we went to. And I even spoke with a parent of a swimmer at a different high school (way smaller), and she said their meets were safer. I emailed the coach last night (as did her friend’s mom), and the coach pretty much said take it or leave it. And she had the gall to say that she would have appreciated we give the girls some grace as this was their first meet. Keep in mind we are in Iowa, which is currently a red zone state and the visiting team was from the city The NY Times just rated as the worst city in the whole country!!!!!!

I’m so raging mad that the coach put her in an unsafe situation and blew off my concerns. DH wants to pull her completely. I feel like the coach might hold this against her for the rest of her high school swim career (she’s just a freshman). I feel so bad for DD and her friend. They are hard workers and love swimming. Up until last night, she had only been nearby 3 girls her age unmasked. And last night bring that total up to who knows how many.

Has anyone dealt with similar issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't run into this yet but I just want to say I'm sorry you're in this position. I know your entire family has been so careful about observing proper social distancing. Your DD has been put in a bad spot. I will be reading responses with interest!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD is on swim team at high school here in IL. I was surprised when you mentioned what was going on there, however I know Iowa is not nearly as restricted as IL. We are so strict, mask wearing until right before the swimmer goes in. Only 50 total in the natatorium (swimmers, coaches and officials), they are doing meets in sessions to reduce numbers and allow as many kids to swim. That sounds like it was terrible and exactly what could get the program completely shut down! Our coach and AD are very on top of things!

I know Iowa is not making good decisions and am sorry they are not following protocol (doesn't matter if people agree with it, you just have to follow the rules!).

There arr no club swim meets at all here.

I would ask the athletic director to address the situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m Sorry that your kid and your family are in this tough situation.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, I'm mad for you about the "giving them grace" statement. Viral particles don't operate on that policy.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh!! What a hot mess! I just read an article about one of the Senators from Iowa saying she thought Covid deaths were overblown after the CDC said that only 6% didn’t have any other underlying conditions. You were the first person I thought of. Can you talk to the athletic director, superintendent, or school board? Play it as though your DH (he’s a dr right?) was watching the feed and would like to help offer some suggestions on how to make it safer? I’m assuming given the state of Iowa right now that there are no state requirements for sporting events?

I don’t know what I’d do if they won’t take your suggestions. Is there anyway your DD can stay masked right until she goes off the blocks and then find a spot to stay away as much as possible till her next event? It still doesn’t really help with possible virus load in the air, which would obviously be less if everyone was masked. I hate that you have to put her safety second if you want her to not ruin the rest of her swimming career.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m so sorry. None of this is ok. Is there a mask mandate in your area? You need to go around the coach. The coach has made it clear you will get no where with her. I would go to the principal, athletic director and your athletic conference director. Mask wearing unless swimming is so easy. Also as long as weather is good having kids wait outside is easy. There really is no excuse.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Are they inside or outside? I'm a little more relaxed for outside and here swim teams are only practicing and competing outside at this point, so I'm wondering.

That said, what an awful situation. If kids are feeling unsafe, the coach is in the wrong, regardless. I'd probably pull her for the year. My oldest is in marching band and he is going, but he started with the understanding that if we thought it wasn't being done well, he'd be done and it's a graded class.
    Kris

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would at least report the coach to the school administrators and the county health departmentZ I would request that this complaint be made anonymously. Have you spoken with the other girl’s parents? I don’t have any other suggestions and I don’t know if I would pull my daughter unless she really wanted it because so much rides (college scholarship wise) on being part of a high school team, right? Lot so if virtual hugs because this situation sounds like it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I'm sorry that your daughter and her friends felt uncomfortable.

I certainly don't blame you for complaining, but I would try to find out what the mandate is. I was curious and went to the Iowa high school athletics COVID-19 page. It mentions social distancing several times, but seems to suggests masks are up to the schools. This was listed under Spectators: Just as businesses may require customers to wear masks, schools may require spectators to wear masks.

So honestly, I don't know you would do in that case.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast